Some gathered improvement suggestions

General discussion between Wolfmix owners. Checked occasionally by the Wolfmix support team.
drvval

Some gathered improvement suggestions

Post by drvval »

Hey there. I've been playing a bit with the Wolfmix and I have gathered some suggestions for improvements. I know some of these are easier to implement, and some might be problematic/impossible with the hardware limitations, but maybe they will at least inspire some ideas, so here we go:

1. Full and Flash buttons -
a. These are fun, but they would be much more useful in practice if we were able to set fade time, just like in blinder (even possibly in AND out fade). So not only jarring binary on/off, but nice pulses would be possible. Been wondering how to incorporate this into the UI. Maybe hold the Full/Flash button, and use one of the encoders to set the fade time value? Would be nice if this setting was saved per preset.
b. Full and Flash buttons always solo the given light. Sometimes you just want to add accents, quick flashes, without affecting other lights. Some toggle solo/no-solo would be nice to have.
c. Pushing the encoder to do blackout is less convenient than buttons. So maybe an option to switch places with Full or Flash buttons?

2. Set the max intensity for a given fixture type. Lights can have dramatically different outputs, so it would be nice to have some way to balance more powerful lights with lower-wattage ones. Similarly, how we can limit the range of tilt/pan of moving heads, we could set the limit for the intensity that would affect Blinder and Full/Flash options as well. It is possible to do that now, by messing with the dimmer DMX max values in fixture profile, but it isn't super convenient this way.

3. More settings for the audio input triggers. On live shows, we can have input from the mics available. So, say I wanted to use the audio triggering with the bass/snare drum signal, to do a quick flash every time such accent note is hit by the drummer. But if he hits moderately fast (not even close to the 25 ticks/second that Wolfmix operates on), not all notes are triggered by Wolfmix. ( probably because internally, the mask time between each hit is set too long )
So, it would be very useful to have similar settings like drum triggers have :
a. Sensitivity (this is the only setting we currently have)
b. Mask Time (Once a trigger has been hit, any additional trigger signals occurring within the specified "Mask Time" will be ignored). This would give control over sensitivity to quick succeeding notes VS stability of accidental double triggering.
c. Threshold (Minimum level of the audio signal to produce a trigger)
d. Scan Time (Detection time for the trigger signal)

I'm not saying all of those are needed, but it is a good reference and a standard in drum triggering world.

4. Set if preset should remember colors and flash button states per preset, not just a global switch (and maybe show some icon that identifies this choice)

5. Send dimmer Fader MIDI out back to the MIDI controller. Currently, I use a MIDI controller that has touchscreen faders and can not only send a signal, but also receive it and update it's visual status. So when I use it as a dimmer, it works fine. But if I change the dimmer value with the Wolfmix's encoders, then the corresponding fader value on my midi controller resets to 0, instead of the actual value. So then, the MIDI fader value is not in sync with the Wolfmix (that also applies to changing presets, where the dimmer value changes). Not sure if this is just not properly implemented on the Wolfmix side, or maybe my controller handles that signal poorly, but maybe you guys can have a look at this issue?

6. Blackout Fade. Similar to the Blinder, it would be useful to have fading blackout. It is possible to achieve this by using a preset, with all lights blacked out and setting fade for that preset. But since we have a dedicated button for Blackout, would be nice to have more options in it :)

7. Positions for moving heads
a. Movement curves. When using different positions for the moving heads, they always move in a linear fashion, so it's a bit robotic. Would be nice to have option for some more fluid transitions like ease in/ ease out (a bit similar to the flick feature in MoveFX, but maybe with more control)
b. Apart from auto positioning - give manual control for each light position in each position preset (instead of having to use live edit for that)

8. Step sequencer
a. Set how many steps in a sequence (locked to 8 right now, so can't have like a 3 step sequence)
b. Advanced - use dmx specific values for each step, instead of preset groupings

9. Live Edit fades. Fading between different live edits. I know it doesn't make sense for some DMX signals to be "fadable", but maybe positions and color values could use this feature. Currently, you can achieve this by storing different live edits in presets, and fading between presets.

10. I've also encountered a possible bug: Shift + color FX / Beam FX - toggles the given effect for all groups on home screen, but sometimes the signal is not actually transmitting to the fixtures, even though you see colorFX enabled on the Wolfmix
AlexR

Re: Some gathered improvement suggestions

Post by AlexR »

Thanks for these suggestions! :)
Alex
Wolfmix Support