How to design scenes & chases with WMX1 control

General discussion between Wolfmix owners. Checked occasionally by the Wolfmix support team.
adventurecapitalist

How to design scenes & chases with WMX1 control

Post by adventurecapitalist »

Hi guys -

Fairly new to dmx control, hoping someone can help me out with choreographing the lighting for a live show. I understand that I can record a sequence to the presets, is it possible to use the midi control to trigger changes?

For reference, here's the set up:

- 8x Chauvet Coldash Par H17P 13 ch
- 2x Chauvet Rogue R1 Wash 21 ch
- 2x Chauvet Intimidator SPOT 350 LED 14 ch
- 1x Martin Atomic 3000

The artist is using Ableton for backing tracks, and I think I understand how to set up and record various presets, using manual controls and live edits, but I'm looking for advice on how I can design and execute the entire show... things like triggering the strobes at certain points etc.

Thank you in advance, really appreciate the help.
axell

Re: How to design scenes & chases with WMX1 control

Post by axell »

Wolfmix/WMX1 has a "different concept", compared to most other DMX controllers. As most other DMX consoles start with static positions and then adding them up to create some dynamics out of (like a move or a fade) - Wolfmix/WMX1 already has all the dynamics preloaded into its Effect sections (ColorFX; MoveFX; BeamFX) plus some static control as add ons.

So, to "program" you simple experiment with the effects and if you like something you can instantly store this "look" as a Preset (enter PRESET page and then holding SHIFT button + select a Preset - confirm by pushing the flashing button again) - done
For "auto-play" you can then later re-sort the Presets "underneath each other" (for column play) or "next to each other" (for row play). Simply hold SHIFT button + select the "from" Preset, keep holding SHIFT + select "to" Preset and confirm. done - you've copied the Preset to the new location. Now you can select ROW play or COLUMN play and press PLAY(various timings can also be applied to each Preset like Fade time or Hold time or BPM Bars).

With the buttons of a MIDI controller you have direct access to the Presets without the need to enter the Preset page(s) on the WMX1. MIDI Faders will enable you to control the Dimmers (Group Dimmer A - H and the Master Dimmer).
adventurecapitalist

Post by adventurecapitalist »

Axell - this makes a ton of sense thanks for the response.

Is it possible to program against a timecode or to use a track from ableton live to trigger a new preset? I'm trying to think of how to coordinate certain effects like a strobe against a specific track.
axell

Post by axell »

Wolfmix W1 mkII has a MIDI implementation, which can read MIDI Clock as well as trigger Presets by sending MIDI notes.
The Preset itself then can be defined to be active by a predefined SYNC value (i.e. 16 bars or 32 bars, or ...)
You have the DMX Effect speed via MIDI Clock, Preset trigger via MIDI note and Preset "run time" by predefined Beat bar definition of the Preset(s).
back_ache

Post by back_ache »

I have a touchscreen PC so it'd be interesting to try that with a MIDI "button box", for example, a quick google came up with https://www.da-share.com/software/midi-buttons/
axell

Post by axell »

You can connect your PC via MIDI with the Wolfmix/WMX1, when using a MIDI Interface on the PC side and another (simple) MIDI Interface on the Wolfmix/WMX1 side (i.e. CME U2MIDI Pro or similar) and connect the 2 Interfaces (MIDI IN - to - MIDI OUT and MIDI OUT - to - MIDI IN socket). There is NO DIRECT USB-to-USB POSSIBLE! (it REQUIRES to have the interfaces as a HOST!)
You then can control the Presets and the Group Dimmers thru your PC touchscreen app. (Presets using "MIDI notes", and Dimmer using "MIDI CC" (continuous controllers) commands).
Attachments
Bildschirmfoto 2024-02-14 um 15.24.43.png
Bildschirmfoto 2024-02-14 um 15.24.43.png (237.02 KiB) Viewed 2391 times