Fixture Builder: Where to find SPEED settings?

General discussion between Wolfmix owners. Checked occasionally by the Wolfmix support team.
chickje

Fixture Builder: Where to find SPEED settings?

Post by chickje »

I'm pretty new to the WolfMIx and getting to grips with the fixture builder. I've noticed that existing profiles have 'speed' channels but when building my own fixture profile, I can't find this anywhere. What am I missing?

Thanks in advance
axell

Re: Fixture Builder: Where to find SPEED settings?

Post by axell »

Speed settings can be found in EACH FX section (ColorFX / MoveFX / BeamFX) at the left rotary encoder to adjust the Speed.
You have 3 "sync" options in all 3 FX areas - push the Speed encoder to toggle between the 3 options:

1. fixed speed (clock symbol) in % - Here is NO BPM Speed shown. It is a fixed Speed adjusted with the Speed encoder.

2. BPM TAP speed (BPM+Note symbol). You tap the speed and can subdivide into ½ notes or ¼ notes or full notes etc. Here the BPM display is working!

3. Mic or Line In (Mic symbol). This setting is using either the built in microphone OR a 3.5mm audio jack Line level audio input when connected from the DJ booth or similar. Here, again, is no BPM display shown. The Audio (Mic or Line In) is purely a "pulse" recognition of the audio signal which is being transferred to the CPU to execute the next "step" at the next "pulse". (you want to adjust the mic/Line In level in the Wolfmix/WMX1 setting for best wave -pulse- recognition) - There is no BPM showing in this mode.

In addition in combination with your DJ Computer you have Ableton Link or OS2L (Open Sound-to-Light) available. If your DJ Software is supporting (correctly!!) either one, then you can enable the function on the DJ Software, start WTOOLS on the Computer and enable Ableton Link or OS2L (leave it active), and then the "data" from the DJ Software will be connected via WTOOLS to the Wolfmix/WMX1 which then is following the beats.

If you have a Wolfmix W1/WMX1 mkII (MIDI), when in BPM TAP, you can also use the MIDI USB Port and sync with MIDI Clock (if applicable by your DAW or DJ console).

You also have the SPEED FLASH button (on the right side of the Wolfmix/WMX1 which is used as a "multiplier" for all other effect speed settings.keep holding SHIFT + push SPEED you have the option between "FREEZE" (complete Stop) / 0.5 Speed / 2x Speed / 4x Speed and 8x Speed. When activating this SPEED button the preselected option will now multiply with your current Speed settings.
chickje

Post by chickje »

Hi, thanks for your reply. This is how I've been using it. Does that mean I don't need to set the SPEED as a DMX channel?

I meant the icon that is on channels 10 and 11 in this fixture profile. Many of the profiles within the Wolfmix have this, but when building my own profile, I can't find it.
IMG_4161.jpg
IMG_4161.jpg (467.22 KiB) Viewed 3221 times
axell

Post by axell »

Oh...THIS SPEED ...well, that you don't find in the Profile Builder on Wolfmix, ONLY on Profile Builder on the Web (cloud.nicolaudiegroup.com).

Why not on Wolfmix? Because this DMX Type is not being used (utilized) and is an antique leftover DMX Type from the "old days", where we had to program a "Start Pan/Tilt Position" then an "End Pan/Tilt Position" and the 3rd parameter was the "SPEED" going from "Start" to "End". Today Automation has it all included. Instead of Start/End points, it is a continuous "stream" of Pan/Tilt position parameters being send, and the SPEED encoder is simply accelerating or slowing down the speed of the stream. So SPEED as a channel control became redundant.
If you want to create a profile on Wolfmix Profile Builder substitute the SPEED with "? OTHER" and make sure the Preset has a Default value of "0" (which enables the fastest operation of the fixture)

Beside: Your profile may be "faulty" as you try to create 2 active lightings in a single profile for the AUTOMATION (a) RGBW on ch 5;6;7;8 - which is OK. But you also create ColorWheel (2nd active light) on Channel 9 - so when you press a Color - they block each other as you don't define WHICH "active lighting" you want to be active.
Advise: Do SMD Chase also as ? OTHER and one Preset with default "0". Later in the automated operation you have the Main RGB control and you can add SMD Color Chases (+ Speed) with Live Edit values like Ch 9 = 145 and Ch 10 = 88 or similar....
chickje

Post by chickje »

Thanks so much for this explanation! This whole profile is horrible (all profiles for this fixture are) so I just built another one myself which works just fine. I was just wondering what I was missing out on for not using the SPEED.