Group dimmer with live edit

General discussion between Wolfmix owners. Checked occasionally by the Wolfmix support team.
Habproductions

Group dimmer with live edit

Post by Habproductions »

Hey everyone!

I have a question, I have 6 Eurolite TMH X4 moving heads, they have separate RGB channels and a separate dimmer channel. So in the live edit I make some colour combinations so I can make some cool matching shows with the rest of the lights. I make sure I only use the RGB channels in the live edit and do not use the dimmer channel.

Now here comes the issue, as soon as I activate one of my live edit colour presets, the group dimmer doesn’t work. Blackout works fine, but the group dimmer does nothing.

Is this a fixture error in the Wolfmix? Or is am I messing something up myself? I made a video if someone needs it…
AlexR

Re: Group dimmer with live edit

Post by AlexR »

Habproductions wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 1:35 am Hey everyone!

I have a question, I have 6 Eurolite TMH X4 moving heads, they have separate RGB channels and a separate dimmer channel. So in the live edit I make some colour combinations so I can make some cool matching shows with the rest of the lights. I make sure I only use the RGB channels in the live edit and do not use the dimmer channel.

Now here comes the issue, as soon as I activate one of my live edit colour presets, the group dimmer doesn’t work. Blackout works fine, but the group dimmer does nothing.

Is this a fixture error in the Wolfmix? Or is am I messing something up myself? I made a video if someone needs it…
Hello!

So this is happening is because the group dimmers target the colour mixing channels, rather than the dimmer channel. Because the Live Edits are controlling the RGB values, the Dimmer setting is being completely overridden by the Live Edit. In this instance it might be best to use the static color screen instead if this suits your situation, because with the static colour screen you could achieve the same effect by setting specific RGB values using the colour picker, then use the order function to set the specific pattern you want the colours to appear in.

You can also Instead use the online profile builder to split the profile into two parts:

Part 1: Channels 1 - 5 (mode 1) or 1 - 6 (mode 2)
Part 2: Channels 7 - 16 (mode 1) or 8 - 24 (mode 2)

Then patch in a _generic 'single channel' fixture in between the 2 parts. A bit of effort but this would effectively solve your issue!
Alex
Wolfmix Support
Habproductions

Post by Habproductions »

Yeah the problem with this fixture is that I can control multiple parts of the wash in segments, so the colour picker does not work. It makes a real mess if I select more than one colour, because it will then mix them in segments of the moving head.

Isn’t there another way? That the group dimmer will use the dimmer channel of the moving head? With this solution, I will have to make 3 fixtures to control 1 fixture… not sure if I like this controller then. I bought this because of the simple way to use it for smaller shows.

Is it possible to only program 6 generic channels of the dimmer channel from the moving head and add them to the same group? Maybe the group dimmer will use the dimmer channel then?
axell

Post by axell »

Create a profile which you can split into 3 Groups, so you can use each "RGB zone" with each of the Group Dimmers. Also then there is no need to create Live Edits (which may override other "important information").

Simply assign the profile (when SPLIT) to 3 groups (A; B; C) and then each Group can control 16 Mio RGB colors (so you'll find your preferred combos) and can store in some Presets. Also you have direct control on the Group (RGB Zone 1; 2, 3) Dimmers.

Try the attached profile and when loading 24Ch mode, confirm "YES" when being asked to split.
Then assign "sub fixtures" to the following Groups (example):
  • THM-X4 3beam-1 Group A (general fixture controls)
  • THM-X4 3beam-2 Group A (RGBW Zone 1)
  • THM-X4 3beam-3 Group B (RGBW Zone 2)
  • THM-X4 3beam-4 Group C (RGBW Zone 3)
Attachments
TMH-X4 4beam.ssl2
(45.12 KiB) Downloaded 271 times