Wolfmix W1 MK2 - MIDI

General discussion between Wolfmix owners. Checked occasionally by the Wolfmix support team.
leesinthemix

Wolfmix W1 MK2 - MIDI

Post by leesinthemix »

Hi there Wolfmix team,

Could we get some more information regarding the MIDI implementation on the MK2 please.

Will we be able to assign MIDI output to functions (LEDs), as we can in Daslight or for instance, Traktor?

I'd really love to be able to take advantage of an Allen & Heath Xone:K1 and be able to use it for my Live Edits, whilst keeping the W1 on Presets, but it will be pointless unless MIDI output is an option.
axell

Re: Wolfmix W1 MK2 - MIDI

Post by axell »

You can read the (MIDI) functions already on the Support page (english section)
https://www.wolfmix.com/en/support-content#midi_control

And if you are in front of the mkII then you also see the additional menus which are obvious. In particular the "Leaning" is quite convenient. Press SHIFT+ corresponding encoder brings it into LEARN, then just move the MIDI Dimmer or press the MIDI button and it assigns it accordingly. For Presets you can also give MIDI OUT for Colors. However, right now only when a button is activated! So if it is idle there (yet) is no "idle color" assigned, but stays dark. I already opened a ticket for improvement.
MIDI Clock is being "auto-received" when Wolfmix is set into BPM mode in the effects.

PLUS you see the additional menus pop up when inserting an USB stick for load and store functions for "full W1 clone and restore" but also for individual project loading from a stick.
leesinthemix

Post by leesinthemix »

Thanks for clarifying.

Yes we do need to be able to map idle colours if possible, as the majority of us will be using controllers in a dark environment.
This is also important for when we use toggle functions.
leesinthemix

Post by leesinthemix »

axell wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 4:39 pm You can read the (MIDI) functions already on the Support page (english section)
https://www.wolfmix.com/en/support-content#midi_control

And if you are in front of the mkII then you also see the additional menus which are obvious. In particular the "Leaning" is quite convenient. Press SHIFT+ corresponding encoder brings it into LEARN, then just move the MIDI Dimmer or press the MIDI button and it assigns it accordingly. For Presets you can also give MIDI OUT for Colors. However, right now only when a button is activated! So if it is idle there (yet) is no "idle color" assigned, but stays dark. I already opened a ticket for improvement.
MIDI Clock is being "auto-received" when Wolfmix is set into BPM mode in the effects.

PLUS you see the additional menus pop up when inserting an USB stick for load and store functions for "full W1 clone and restore" but also for individual project loading from a stick.
Do you know if it be possible for me to plug a USB hub into the W1 MK2, so that I use a USB to MIDI interface for MIDI Clock AND a MIDI controller at the same time?
leesinthemix

Post by leesinthemix »

The answer to this is no.

So you have to choose between syncing with MIDI clock or using a MIDI controlller. You can't do both at the same time.

What a terrible oversight.

Why not just have a 5din MIDI port AND a USB port!!!?
DJ-T

Post by DJ-T »

The Mini Guides say the following about BPM synchronisation:
MIDI Clock

Wolfmix effects can be synchronised with the BPM using MIDI clock. There is no setup required on the Wolfmix side. Simply send MIDI clock from your MIDI device, and Wolfmix will read it and sync your effects, as long as the effects are set to BPM mode.
I wanted to use MIDI clock instead of OS2L with VirtualDJ and the Wolfmix MK2.
With Daslight you need LoopBe1 as an auxiliary programme. But this doesn't work with the Wolfmix.

How can I achieve BPM synchronisation with VirtualDJ and the MK2?
axell

Post by axell »

It depends how you connect:
You won't be able to connect a Wolfmix to a computer just with a USB (A-A) cable because both the Wolfmix and the computer are MIDI hosts. Instead you need to use two USB-MIDI devices. I have attached an image of an example setup for this use case.
I was using 2 (cheap) Midiface 2x2 Midi Interfaces, one attaches to the computer, the other attaches to the Wolfmix, MIDI runs on cables between the 2 MIDI Interfaces.
Attachments
Bildschirmfoto 2023-11-15 um 22.47.50.png
Bildschirmfoto 2023-11-15 um 22.47.50.png (268.19 KiB) Viewed 5350 times
DJ-T

Post by DJ-T »

Thanks for the answer, I need additional hardware.
I was using 2 (cheap) Midiface 2x2 Midi Interfaces, one attaches to the computer, the other attaches to the Wolfmix, MIDI runs on cables between the 2 MIDI Interfaces.
Which midi hardware was it exactly? (so that I have an example)

Simon shows the adapter cable from CME in the video.

https://www.amazon.de/CME-U6MIDI-Pro-In ... ast_sto_dp

https://www.amazon.de/CME-U2MIDI-Pro-US ... ast_sto_dp

So would a combination of these 2 CME devices be correct to ensure communication between VirtualDJ & the MK2?
axell

Post by axell »

I was using 2x Miditech Midiface 2x2
The "In/Out" LEDs on the Midi interface helped to monitor what is "going on", seeing if the connection is established. You can also replace one unit with a cheaper USB-to-MIDI cable.
Attachments
IMG_0937.jpeg
IMG_0937.jpeg (286.68 KiB) Viewed 5337 times
DJ-T

Post by DJ-T »

Then the Miditech 1x1 + the USB adapter cable should also be sufficient, right?

https://www.thomann.de/de/miditech_midiface_ii_thru.htm