WMX1 control of the Chauvet Gigbar Move+ ILS discussion

General discussion between Wolfmix owners. Checked occasionally by the Wolfmix support team.
Deacon1

Re: Wolfmix control of Gigbar Move+ ILS laser does not follow the Chauvet DMX spec

Post by Deacon1 »

Yeah I was looking at the 51 channel file earlier and the format isn’t what I have typically seen. I’m still new to the lighting world but I think it breaks down to being:

Channel 33 = Laser Pattern
Pattern 1: 0-7
Pattern 2: 8-15
Pattern 3: 16-23
Pattern 4: 24-31
Pattern 5: 32-39

Etc…
Tarekith

Re: Wolfmix control of Gigbar Move+ ILS laser does not follow the Chauvet DMX spec

Post by Tarekith »

I tried mapping that yesterday on channel 33 and I couldn't get it to do anything to the laser. Also, for some reason one of the strobes will always stay lit in the new firmware no matter what I do. Loading v2.08 back onto the gigbar fixes it right away though.

Still need to play around, I'm too new to all this to not rule out my own user error.
tarekith.com
Tarekith

Post by Tarekith »

Yay, I finally got it working! For some reason my Wolfmix project got corrupted or something, as things were just not working as I had mapped them (IE my strobe issue above). I deleted that Project and started a new one, and even though it was mapped exactly the same as before it all worked fine. Weird.

Anyway, yes the Laser Pattern selection on Channel 33 followed the convention Deacon1 pointed out. The only way I could figure out to implement that was via Live Edits, but once I created a Live Edit for each pattern it worked great. Shame I couldn't figure out a way to select the pattern via a knob, but this is good enough for me. I "think" you can actually access more patterns via DMX than you could with the ILS Command even.

If anyone needs my Fixture Profile let me know, happy to share.
tarekith.com
ScottB

Post by ScottB »

I’ll certainly take you up on that offer Tarekith! Thank you!!!

As an aside, my first gig with the Wolfmix went very, very well. I had the GigBar Move + ILS behind the drummer, I was playing bass and the two of us were playing inside a 12’ Pergola type wooden structure. The other band members were in front of us, 15-25’ away as they were spread out. We had 2 GigBar ILS on each side in the front.

I used Tarekith’s first Move+ Profile and several of his settings. I took my favorites Red patterns he created, added one or two and made a column. I did the same with Blue, Green and combos. I had 4 columns of 5 settings and 4 rows of 4 settings and used them as chases changing the time length. We had a 2 hour set, I was able to quickly make changes between the songs and just let them ride. The feedback I received was very positive.

If I can get some change abilities via a foot switch I would be a very happy camper! So much thanks to Tarekith for all of his assistance, advice and previous hard work. I’m also very grateful to Axell for all of his advice and experience, I seriously couldn’t had done this without you guys!!!
Deacon1

Post by Deacon1 »

Awesome to hear Tarekith. Can you share the profile? I’ve taken a stab at trying to create one but am still having trouble grasping the process.
Tarekith

Post by Tarekith »

Here you go everyone, this zip has the Gigbar Move + ILS profile for firmware v2.10, and the WMX1 Project I created to control it all:

https://tarekith.com/assets/WMX1-Gigbar210.zip

A few notes on the WMX1 project to help you find your way around:

- Group A = Pars
- Group B = Derbies
- Group C = Moving heads
- Group D = Laser
- Group E = Strobes

The first page of Presets uses all the light fixtures of the Gigbar set to change after 3 minutes with a 20 second transition time between. The second page of Presets is more subtle and just uses the Pars and Moving heads in a fixed position, good for ambience and slower music sets where you want the lights a bit more calm. These are set to change after 2 minutes, with a 10 second transition. Transitions on the Gigbar are a little wonky since you can't fade between gobos or moving head colors easily, so you might need to tweak for your needs.

The Presets are a work in progress, I haven't had a chance yet to get the haze machine out to test and refine them at night. I just needed SOMETHING in place for a show I have this weekend.

To access the laser patterns, I created a page and half of Live Edits, each one is a new laser pattern. So you'll need to select a Live Edit to get the pattern you want, then resave the Preset to have that pattern recalled with the Preset. I don't know why, but some times it seems like the patterns are cycling sequentially from the previous pattern to the new one you select. I still need to figure this out, but it's close enough for now.

Hope this helps other WMX1 users!

(I also changed the title of this thread since it seems like a good place to talk about this combo of WMX1 and the Gigbar. Plus the discussion has grown way beyond my initial reason for starting the thread.)
tarekith.com
ScottB

Re: WMX1 control of the Chauvet Gigbar Move+ ILS discussion

Post by ScottB »

Thank you Tarekith! Hope your show goes great this weekend… do you plan on recording it once again? I hope so, You know I loved your YouTube with the command demo. I can’t wait to test your new work!!!
Deacon1

Post by Deacon1 »

Many thanks and really appreciate your time and help Tarekith! I'm glad I found your post as I was on the fence with the ILS Command and I'm glad I made the jump to the WMX1 with your feedback.
Tarekith

Post by Tarekith »

ScottB wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 8:13 pm Thank you Tarekith! Hope your show goes great this weekend… do you plan on recording it once again? I hope so, You know I loved your YouTube with the command demo. I can’t wait to test your new work!!!
I probably won't record it as it's a DJ set. YouTube would hit me with copyright violations the second I post it sadly.
tarekith.com
Tarekith

Post by Tarekith »

Just in case anyone here is following along, here's my review of the WMX1 specifically related to how I use it to control the Gigbar Move + ILS. Also some comparisons to the ILS Command.

https://youtu.be/yxvv8CZ53rw
tarekith.com