Fixture Positions!

General discussion between Wolfmix owners. Checked occasionally by the Wolfmix support team.
Adrian

Fixture Positions!

Post by Adrian »

I must return to the subject of positions. I added an image to illustrate the problem.
The heads are mounted directly on the vertical traverse.
It is simply not possible to set the positions. Of course I don't mean LiveEdits, but the start positions for Move FX.
Lampen.jpg
Lampen.jpg (466.17 KiB) Viewed 3087 times
axell

Re: Fixture Positions!

Post by axell »

The "unassigned" (idle) Position is not relevant and is on value 127 for all MHs worldwide when no POSITION PRESET is active! As there are Moving Heads in the market with different PAN degrees, the value 127 can show different directions.

You may want a certain setup procedure to get a proper position and operation of Moving Heads:
1. After patching the MH, go immediately to POSITIONS and DESELECT the CENTER Preset ( = OFF - so to remove the Offset when adjusting the Fixture Limit now)
2. Now enter Fixtures again, select the MHs and click the crosshair (Fixture Limits)
3. Here you assign the max LEFT position and max RIGHT position WITHOUT turning the MH 1,5 times around itself. Just smoothly PAN from the left or the room to the right of the room. The same now for Tilt. (You DO ALSO CHANGE the "middle -idle- position when doing so!). At the end you will have a quadrant assigned as limit boundaries which covers just a quarter of the whole fixture area (i.e. upper right hand corner or such).
4. Once finished you NOW go to POSITIONS and select one Preset (Center, Floor, ceiling, ...) with SHIFT+Preset and do the "fine tuning" here, to position the beam area for each section in more detail. It will stay within the previously adjusted limitations, but now "focus" more on the "FLOOR" or CEILING positions etc.
5. If you DESELECT any POSITION Preset now, the MHs will return to their DEFAULT (UNASSIGNED - 127) position. So it is important to make sure when the lights are on you also have any of the POSITION Presets on as well, THEN (and only THEN) the Positioning is DEFINED.
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Hello Axell, thanks for the answer but my problem is something else.
The procedure described in can only position all the lamps at the same time. This works if the fixtures are mounted identically. Example: All fixtures hang under the truss. Here it is the case that the fixture with the base is mounted on the side of the traverse. When I try to adjust the positions using the method described above, the fixtures move in different directions. There should be a way to adjust each fixture individually.
bugsy972

Post by bugsy972 »

I will give this a try to fix my issue on this as I'm having a issue with the PAN on POSITIONS. TILT works OK. I have 2 Moving heads. When I go into positions and I look at the DMX values, they both START at 127 but when I adjust the pan, it seems like the numbers get inverted... the DMX value of one is 250, and the other is like 70 - shouldn't they be the same? I've checked my fixtures to be sure I did not accidently invert them. When I go into FIXTURE LIMITS, they both act normally and perform as expected. I'm hoping your solution below will fix my issue. I will try this later and let you know.

axell wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 7:12 am The "unassigned" (idle) Position is not relevant and is on value 127 for all MHs worldwide when no POSITION PRESET is active! As there are Moving Heads in the market with different PAN degrees, the value 127 can show different directions.

You may want a certain setup procedure to get a proper position and operation of Moving Heads:
1. After patching the MH, go immediately to POSITIONS and DESELECT the CENTER Preset ( = OFF - so to remove the Offset when adjusting the Fixture Limit now)
2. Now enter Fixtures again, select the MHs and click the crosshair (Fixture Limits)
3. Here you assign the max LEFT position and max RIGHT position WITHOUT turning the MH 1,5 times around itself. Just smoothly PAN from the left or the room to the right of the room. The same now for Tilt. (You DO ALSO CHANGE the "middle -idle- position when doing so!). At the end you will have a quadrant assigned as limit boundaries which covers just a quarter of the whole fixture area (i.e. upper right hand corner or such).
4. Once finished you NOW go to POSITIONS and select one Preset (Center, Floor, ceiling, ...) with SHIFT+Preset and do the "fine tuning" here, to position the beam area for each section in more detail. It will stay within the previously adjusted limitations, but now "focus" more on the "FLOOR" or CEILING positions etc.
5. If you DESELECT any POSITION Preset now, the MHs will return to their DEFAULT (UNASSIGNED - 127) position. So it is important to make sure when the lights are on you also have any of the POSITION Presets on as well, THEN (and only THEN) the Positioning is DEFINED.
bugsy972

Post by bugsy972 »

I semi figured out my issue.... Without POSITIONS activated, I set the default PAN DMX value from 127 to zero on each Moving Head. Then when I go into POSITIONS and edit the position, I set FAN to 50%. At this point, both heads are in Sync with each other and I can set the position properly.

bugsy972 wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 12:43 pm I will give this a try to fix my issue on this as I'm having a issue with the PAN on POSITIONS. TILT works OK. I have 2 Moving heads. When I go into positions and I look at the DMX values, they both START at 127 but when I adjust the pan, it seems like the numbers get inverted... the DMX value of one is 250, and the other is like 70 - shouldn't they be the same? I've checked my fixtures to be sure I did not accidently invert them. When I go into FIXTURE LIMITS, they both act normally and perform as expected. I'm hoping your solution below will fix my issue. I will try this later and let you know.

axell wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 7:12 am The "unassigned" (idle) Position is not relevant and is on value 127 for all MHs worldwide when no POSITION PRESET is active! As there are Moving Heads in the market with different PAN degrees, the value 127 can show different directions.