FX with sound controls.

General discussion between Wolfmix owners. Checked occasionally by the Wolfmix support team.
Adrian

FX with sound controls.

Post by Adrian »

FX with sound controls.
Why do the effects with sound control do something different than with BPM/time.
Example running light with 8 steps. Simple running light, lamps are switched on one after the other. Works well on BPM/timing. With sound control, only 2 lamps change, or 2 steps are recognizable.
I don't mean the beat sequencer. It works there, just not with the other effects.
And by the way. Why speed parameters in sound control?
AlexR

Re: FX with sound controls.

Post by AlexR »

Hello, what fixtures are you using/ what is your setup? I can test this out to see if I can replicate this issue.

Alex
Wolfmix support
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

The point is that the effects behave differently with music control than with time control. I made a video to illustrate this.

https://youtu.be/f2zR4qu4IyA
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

@AlexR, Do you have any idea?
willm

Post by willm »

Hey Adrian!

Funnily enough, I had come across some similar issues to this just yesterday as I was discussing the 'Pulse synchronisation at 0% speed' with the development team. I have uploaded a short video demonstrating how/why this type of behaviour is occurring but I will also explain briefly below for your reference.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1N6e8s9 ... sp=sharing

The Pulse mode works exactly in the same way as the Time mode, with the one difference that upon hearing an audio pulse- the effect will jump forward to the next step (this 'step' will differ depending on the effect). This can cause some unhelpful behaviour when the Pulse mode speed is set to 0% (which in your video, is the case)...

When the Pulse speed is at 0%, the effect will be running identically to the Time mode, but since the effect is extremely slow- it can be hard to notice any changes or movement without waiting a long time. On top of that, every time a Pulse is detected- the effect will jump to the next step. In the video I have attached you can see that it alternates between the 1st and 5th fixture every time I make a Pulse. This is because there are 2 potential steps for the effect to jump to- the start of the effect cycle, or the middle of the effect cycle. Furthermore, because the size and fade values are set to 0%, this means that only one fixture is illuminating at any one time.

So with the combination of:

- Size and Fade being at 0% (showing only one beam at a time).
- Speed being set to 0% (effect is still running, but at an extremely slow speed making it looks static).
- The Pulse setting making the effect jump, before the chaser has moved from the first beam (essentially re-triggering the same effect over and over).

You are seeing this strange behaviour. The reason why this effect behaves this way makes a lot more sense when you introduce some more Speed, Size and Fade. As you can see, the chaser runs slowly, then jumps to the next step on an audio Pulse- which looks much better than it did with all settings at 0%.

Hope this all makes sense?

Kind regards,
Will
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Thank you for the detailed answer. I still don't understand why it was programmed that way! The effect should not behave differently just because the trigger is different.
The combination of pulse speed and music trigger doesn't look good. It looks like the music trigger isn't working properly.
I don't understand the logic...