DMX Foot pedals

General discussion between Wolfmix owners. Checked occasionally by the Wolfmix support team.
Simon

DMX Foot pedals

Post by Simon »

When I visited Thomann back in August, I found this little gem...a DMX controlled foot pedal...

https://www.thomann.de/gb/stairville_dmx_foot_2.htm

..so I added the possibility to jump the preset forwards and backwards with a DMX input message. Great for bands that have a setlist, or use one pedal to jump to the next preset and one to trigger your favourite preset ;)
axell

Re: DMX Foot pedals

Post by axell »

Great finding and thank you for the „special feature“ on Wolfmix!
leesinthemix

Post by leesinthemix »

This is really cool!

Although most bands already have pedal boards which rely solely on sending MIDI, so they'd probably appreciate the ability to implement their current gear using foot switches or MIDI boxes which use 5din MIDI or TS/TRS to a USB MIDI host.

The USB host or MIDI box using 5din MIDI doesn't even need to be connected to a laptop for this to be possible, as I use the same approach to change presets on my Eventide H9, which is my main external effects unit that I have at home for my Xone 96 mixer.
If the Wolfmix could handle MIDI over USB, it would be possible for me to use the same MIDI box to control my external effects AND launch a Wolfmix preset of my choice, without touching the unit itself. Very much like your foot pedal solution, but without the inconvenience of having to use DMX merger boxes, which require mains power, rather than USB power.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/xbox-one-modz
https://www.thomann.de/gb/switch_pedals.html

I know I keep going on about MIDI, but trust me it's the best solution for most consumers in the DJ/band/live performer space and there are SO many products out there for this solution.

The Wolfmix could even be a good solution for people in the streaming/gaming space who use lighting and a Stream Deck for example. Again, MIDI over USB is the way to implement this and make it happen.
Mister o

Post by Mister o »

How do I implement the dmx selection of a preset Simon?
Bavarian

Post by Bavarian »

Can you help me how to connect a foot pedal? Which cable is best suited here and to which DMX address do I have to set the foot switch? Is it possible to put your favorite presets on a footswitch or just switch back and forth?

Many Thanks!! :)
Simon

Post by Simon »

You can choose the DMX input channel in the Wolfmix settings, then you can adjust the foot pedal settings as necessary. The action (previous or next) depends on the DMX value:

Value 1 : Previous Preset
Value 2 : Next Preset

For the cable, you need to connect it to the 5 pin female WLINK socket.
axell

Post by axell »

We did this here very recently. The Wolfmix part is REALLY easy:
Go to HOME / SETUP / Settings and scroll almost to the end of the settings
You find: Preset Jump DMX In Channel, assign this to your preferred Foot Switch DMX channel

Now the real setup is on the Foot Switch itself:
These may differ from model to model, but in general each pedal sends a fixed DMX value.
1. You have to assign the DMX channel = as defined on the Wolfmix
2. create 2 Presets, one for each pedal and enter:
* Pedal 1 (Preset 1 - DMX value 001)
* Pedal 2 (Preset 2 - DMX value 002)
3. Now configure(!!) the pedal setting:
a) Footswitch response (toggle or momentary Flash) choose Flash
b) Fade time (in seconds) - NO fade time 0 sec
c) Hold time (in seconds) - minimum hold (1 sec)

You may have to experiment with the pedal settings as it may differ from vendor to vendor, but it really does work great once you have the right setting
Bavarian

Post by Bavarian »

Great!!

Many, many thanks!! :)

Can you recommend a footswitch that not only jumps but also stores presets? Is it possible with the Stairville Foot 2 from Thomann?
axell

Post by axell »

I am not exactly sure what your question is (store presets?).
The Foot-2 has "Presets" and in these Presets it stores DMX values. So if you call a preset (by push the pedal) it "sends" the DMX values (here the UP command DMX 001 (left pedal preset 1) and DOWN command 002 (right pedal preset 2)

You can store ANY value into the 2 pedals.
If you want to SELECT a Preset directly, you can set Wolfmix to PRESET DMX CHANNEL setting and then send the direct Preset address (i.e. 025) to the Wolfmix storing the DMX value 025 into pedal 1. And another value (063) into pedal 2. Now you can flip between Preset 025 & 063 by pressing the 2 pedals.
Bavarian

Post by Bavarian »

Do I have to activate/purchase the WLink option to use DMX In? And do you think it could also work with an "analog switch"? Which has no internal DMX program. A simple switch with three buttons?