Line In Audio. it SHOULD be better

General discussion between Wolfmix owners. Checked occasionally by the Wolfmix support team.
Level Up

Line In Audio. it SHOULD be better

Post by Level Up »

Hi, this is the problem. When the audio is inserted into LINE IN (with cable) it is not known what bpm the controller is working at.
For example, if I go into COLOR FX the BPM of the BPM TAP is shown (an ABSURD thing! It is absurd there is no other word to define it).
For a product that wants to be defined PROFESSIONAL (also considering the price) when I select an audio source, the BMP shown on the screen MUST be relative to the selected audio source (bpm tap / line in / integrated mic).

Now this is a TOTALLY software problem (and therefore can be updated and fixed) because if one of the controller's functions is to have bpm via line in then somewhere a firmware function "scans" the audio and will produce a bpm of result. why not show it? Rather at this point HIDE the bpm text or write us something like "LINE IN" "INTERNAL MIC" but it is absolutely unprofessional to show a wrong BPM (yes because it is INCOERENT with the selected source).

Also another problem is the saturation of the signal.

This product is advertised and sold as a product also aimed at ITINERANT DJs to use it live.

Well ... from a console you go out either with the master or with the booth or with the rec. in all these cases the sound has an output volume. in any case (not knowing the bpm) we djs don't know how the controller is working (good? bad? okay? maybe it doesn't work?) and we tested that if the volume is too low or too high the controller literally goes into chaos .

In the settings could we have a graph (classic horizontal bar from green to red) for the volume of the input level (and this is also something that is programmed at the SW level and not from the HW) ???

Well ... the second problem is a "normal" problem but the first problem .. not knowing if the controller has a synchronous bpm to that of the track is really shameful for a 700 euro controller.
Simon

Re: Line In Audio. it SHOULD be better

Post by Simon »

Hi There

The BPM is not calculated via the Line In. These are 2 completely separate things. I'd recommend checking these links:

https://www.wolfmix.com/en/support-cont ... with_music
https://youtu.be/OcLs5FXyLLE

BPM and Line in can be used to compliment each other across different effects. For example, a BPM could be mapped to a color effect to jump between colors with the beat of the music, whilst a Line in could be mapped to a Beam effect to flash the lights to the pulse of the music (which is not a consistent BPM in the way the beat is).
In the settings could we have a graph (classic horizontal bar from green to red) for the volume of the input level (and this is also something that is programmed at the SW level and not from the HW) ???
Our CPU doesnt read an analog input, so this is not possible. We have an analog pulse detection circuit which includes an auto gain stage and filter which sends a pulse over to our CPU.

We could actually include BPM detection from microphone/line in a future firmware update, but I'm not actually sure this would be useful. We've done this with our other products in the past and I've personally found when DJing it's more effective to pulse the lights instead of try to calculate a consistent BPM which is rarely accurate, and instead to set up the BPM via Ableton Link or OS2L, or in a live band setting to tap the BPM periodically.

...always open to suggestions though if others think this may actually be useful.
Marxn

Re: Line In Audio. it SHOULD be better

Post by Marxn »

Hi Guys,
this seems to be related to this Topic: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=356
Working with my Wolfmix in Paderborn, Germany
www.bdm-systems.de