MIDI for Live Edit And Global Functions

General discussion between Wolfmix owners. Checked occasionally by the Wolfmix support team.
Jethrobowdean

MIDI for Live Edit And Global Functions

Post by Jethrobowdean »

What are the plans regarding MIDI for Live Edits and Global Functions, such as Blinder, Strobe, Speed, Wolfmix Special or Smoke ?
Jethrobowdean

Re: MIDI for Live Edit And Global Functions

Post by Jethrobowdean »

I haven't seen any response yet? Has this question already been answered ? The last release was September last year, are the releases not planned or anticipated? There do not appear to be overwhelming questions on the forum so I don't think it is a matter of time to communicate with the user base so I am wondering if I simply asking questions in the wrong place? Is there a place, website, social media account or forum where the development team communicates general product plans, releases etc. to the public and user base? -- Apologies if I am just in the wrong place but I would love some help in knowing where to look for basic questions--
marc-woods

Post by marc-woods »

Hi Jethro, I understand from Wolfmix (who are really helpful and good at getting back) that you can`t trigger global effects with midi, I`m using presets to do blinder and speed but "wolf " effect is much more tricky.
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

Jethrobowdean wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:25 pm I haven't seen any response yet? Has this question already been answered ? The last release was September last year, are the releases not planned or anticipated? There do not appear to be overwhelming questions on the forum so I don't think it is a matter of time to communicate with the user base so I am wondering if I simply asking questions in the wrong place? Is there a place, website, social media account or forum where the development team communicates general product plans, releases etc. to the public and user base? -- Apologies if I am just in the wrong place but I would love some help in knowing where to look for basic questions--
Hello,

Currently there are no plans to include global effects triggering via MIDI for the MK2, however we understand that this is a highly requested feature from our users so we're looking at ways we could incorporate this in future - however I cannot give a time frame or confirmation of if/ when this will be implemented.

Typically we will only communicate product plans and updates close to when they are due to be released, however we always read user requests and add them to the list if we think they can be included in a functional and efficient way. Due to the amount of feature requests we receive we tend to prioritize replying to technical support queries, although please be assured we are listening and do have a future release schedule planned for Wolfmix (unfortunately however I'm not able provide any information about this just yet!).

Kind regards
Alex
Wolfmix Support
Jethrobowdean

Post by Jethrobowdean »

1st, a sincere thank you to Alex for responding and also the workaround from marc-woods for Blinders and Strobe using presets. For me as a user, it means a lot to know what to expect (I may not like it but it is way better than not knowing how to plan). 2nd, Alex replied that "Currently there are no plans to include global effects triggering via MIDI for the MK2" but I didn't see any mention about "Live Edits"? Is the response on Global effects such as Blinders, Strobe, Wolfmix Efffect and Smoke also apply to "Live Edits" as well. Lastly, on releases and not being able to comment until closer to releases, is there a rough expectation about release timeframe, i.e. roughly 2/year or so?

Again thanks it was nice to get some info to base some planning on.

Thanks

Jeff
leesinthemix

Post by leesinthemix »

AlexR wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:24 pm
Jethrobowdean wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:25 pm I haven't seen any response yet? Has this question already been answered ? The last release was September last year, are the releases not planned or anticipated? There do not appear to be overwhelming questions on the forum so I don't think it is a matter of time to communicate with the user base so I am wondering if I simply asking questions in the wrong place? Is there a place, website, social media account or forum where the development team communicates general product plans, releases etc. to the public and user base? -- Apologies if I am just in the wrong place but I would love some help in knowing where to look for basic questions--
Hello,

Currently there are no plans to include global effects triggering via MIDI for the MK2, however we understand that this is a highly requested feature from our users so we're looking at ways we could incorporate this in future - however I cannot give a time frame or confirmation of if/ when this will be implemented.

Typically we will only communicate product plans and updates close to when they are due to be released, however we always read user requests and add them to the list if we think they can be included in a functional and efficient way. Due to the amount of feature requests we receive we tend to prioritize replying to technical support queries, although please be assured we are listening and do have a future release schedule planned for Wolfmix (unfortunately however I'm not able provide any information about this just yet!).

Kind regards
Simply not good enough.

The Wolfmix team knew this was a highly requested feature MORE THAN A YEAR before the MK2 was released. We've been screaming for the possibility to control global parameters and live edits via DMX or MIDI for as long as I've been a member of this forum (basically TWO YEARS).

Are you guys going to come out with a MK3 version now in order to cash in on some development work that would probably take a few weeks?

Wouldn't surprise me.
Jethrobowdean

Post by Jethrobowdean »

Thanks Leesinthemix for your response . . . I guess I just don't understand why Wolfmix would go to all the trouble to release a new version mk2 that principally focuses on MIDI (new hardware with a new USB jack for that purpose) but then only extend the new MIDI functionality to ONLY the Presets and leave out over half and probably some of the most coveted and important features such as Live Edits and the Global features? Confusing and disjointed to me. I also don't understand the cloak and dagger secrecy around the development roadmap and release schedule. The explanations sound a little more like diversionary language to quell customer dissatisfaction and the lack of any plan to enhance or upgrade the product (which is too bad because the core product has a lot of promise). I guess if they had released a previous roadmap stating that they were going to release a new product mk2 with MIDI capability but leave over half the functions uncovered it would have sounded nutty. My previous point was that if they would at least do some minimal communications about plans the customer base could at least have a way to manage their own expectations.
leesinthemix

Post by leesinthemix »

Jethrobowdean wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 5:17 pm Thanks Leesinthemix for your response . . . I guess I just don't understand why Wolfmix would go to all the trouble to release a new version mk2 that principally focuses on MIDI (new hardware with a new USB jack for that purpose) but then only extend the new MIDI functionality to ONLY the Presets and leave out over half and probably some of the most coveted and important features such as Live Edits and the Global features? Confusing and disjointed to me. I also don't understand the cloak and dagger secrecy around the development roadmap and release schedule. The explanations sound a little more like diversionary language to quell customer dissatisfaction and the lack of any plan to enhance or upgrade the product (which is too bad because the core product has a lot of promise). I guess if they had released a previous roadmap stating that they were going to release a new product mk2 with MIDI capability but leave over half the functions uncovered it would have sounded nutty. My previous point was that if they would at least do some minimal communications about plans the customer base could at least have a way to manage their own expectations.
The Wolfmix team have never prioritised customer requests unfortunately. A few changes happen here and there, months at a time.

You only have to look at the DMX foot switch feature (which literally no one asked for) that the project creator did a PR video about, basically proclaiming that he'd always wanted this kind of solution, which encapsulates the ethos (from a customer perspective) of the project quite well.

The W1 is literally the only small, all-in-one lighting solution (that doesn't require a laptop) on the market that allows a good mix of hands on control and set/forget. It could be so, so, so, so much more if they would only listen and act upon customer requests.

However, I have very little faith in that.
Jethrobowdean

Post by Jethrobowdean »

As I look through the forum it's not hard to understand from where many of these requests originate, but that's why I thought a reasonable (fairly full) implementation of MIDI (meaning add the other core functions Live Edits and Globals) made all kinds of sense. While as a user I might not get exactly what I wish for in enhancements with a reasonable MIDI implementation a user can develop reasonable workarounds and stop gaps until the product matures more down the road. Ideally, the model that these guys developed using cool algos and techniques (macros or FX) for Color, Movement, Beam, etc is super cool and can be useful but when someone starts implementing this with actual fixtures (particularly new ones) you quickly realize that major features (prism/prism rotation, focus) are not included and you think "Thanks heavens for Live Edits so I can do some direct DMX fix/workarounds". The problem is that if you can only call those benefits into practical actual use via a Preset (with MIDI) that might include some Live Edits enhancements/workarounds (that couldn't be captured in a Fixture Definition) you will quickly run out of Live Edits (part of the reason you see requests for more Live Edits). This becomes a math problem really quickly. Instead of being able to create a matrix of possibilities, i.e. combinations of Presets and Live Edits. The Light Controller industry understood long ago through a years long maturing process that layers for color, movement, shutter was the only practice that could even get you close to doing lights with any sophistication . . . and you see that approach with Wolfmix on their approach to the FX Engines and stressing good fixture definitions to avoid overuse of Live Edits BUT then they left arguably the most important half of MIDI implementation for Live Edits (Global functions too) UNDONE, INCOMPLETE. There are So many Great and Impressive features of this Wolfmix Controller that I would love to show off but I can't . . . the Development team didn't provide an interface (MIDI) to access them.