W1 MK2 MIDI and other quirks

General discussion between Wolfmix owners. Checked occasionally by the Wolfmix support team.
nneilboss

W1 MK2 MIDI and other quirks

Post by nneilboss »

Hi all
New member here with an issue that I have encountered recently. My use case is as follows: I use the W1 as a replacement for DMXIS on a Macbook (now deprecated) to run a programmed light show with different presets for songs/song parts. Historically I triggered the DMXIS via my MIDI foot controller which I use to switch guitar patches.

I bought the W1 MK2 because of the MIDI functionality.

So far it appears to work OK (although I have not done a live show yet). One issue seems to recur: when I am assigning presets and putting the preset in “learn” mode to assign the appropriate MIDI CC code from my foot controller, occasionally the W1 will become unresponsive and one has to use the encoder to dial in the right CC. When this happens it often seems to be the case that the W1 stops responding to external MIDI (although the clock seems to come through)

Also occasionally when I have been programming the touch screen also becomes unresponsive.

In all cases a power cycle clears the issie, but it recurs from time to time. Any similar experiences out there?
AlexR

Re: W1 MK2 MIDI and other quirks

Post by AlexR »

Hello,

This is unusual behavior, have you tried performing a factory reset of the controller?

-Save your current project in the Wolfmix (Setup->Projects->SAVE).
-Backup projects with WTOOLS (WTOOLS->Projects->Backup Projects).
-If any fixtures have been built on the Wolfmix, backup fixtures with WTOOLS (WTOOLS->Fixtures->Backup Fixtures).
-Perform a factory reset with WTOOLS (WTOOLS->Settings->Factory reset).

Please let us know if this fixes the issue! If not and it is becoming a serious problem please report this on our helpdesk and we'll investigate this in case it is a bug.

https://help.wolfmix.com/

Kind regards
Alex
Wolfmix Support
nneilboss

Post by nneilboss »

Well, colour me annoyed. I followed this advice and somehow managed to overwrite a project with 6 fixtures and 80 presets. I do not know whether it was my fault or another bug. Cannot even check now if if the fixed worked because I have lost weeks of effort. This system of local, computer and cloud backups is highly confusing and more complicated than it needs to be. Is there any way to access an archive version of a project that was ovwerwritten
nneilboss

Post by nneilboss »

OK - have managed to recreate a fair number of my presets after the hardware reset and the unintentional overwrite of my project. But have established that the fault is still there. I have captured this on video and will continue thos discussion via WolfMix help
Phil0

Post by Phil0 »

Hi,

I think I may have encountered a similar problem. I was attempting to trigger a wolfmix preset via midi cc from an android tablet using Mobile Sheets Pro.

When using midi learn, the wolfmix recognised the correct CC from an incoming signal from my tablet using the "test midi command" in the Mobile Sheets app. It appeared to be then working and selecting presets, then on the next try - not working. After some troubleshooting I noticed that if I used a rotary knob on a hardware midi controller to send midi CC data, rather than a defined value (as was being sent from a button press on the tablet), it would always work correctly. My guess is that midi learn receives a value on a particular cc channel and then only responds to select a preset when it hears a different value on that same CC channel. I may be wrong.

My workaround was to use midi "note on" instead of midi CC to select presets and this always works as desired. Hope this helps.

Phil
axell

Post by axell »

The MIDI implementation is like to expect a "key" or "note on" data when pushing a button for a Preset selection, and sending a Continuous Controller data (cc) when using a fader for Dimmer control.
When MIDI "learning" is enabled on Presets, it takes what you feed them. so if you give a MIDI fader value to the Presets- it will be cc, but with a SINGLE value. So you can NOT later browse with that fader thru all your Presets. Use "key" or "note on" and you can select the Presets.