ADJ Quad Phase HP

Fixture not working as it should? Post it here and we'll check it out. Be precise with the fixture name as there are many with similar names.
jlnstglr

ADJ Quad Phase HP

Post by jlnstglr »

Hi there,

Any suggestions to use those Quad Phase Lights with the Wolfmix? I can‘t control the rotation with the inbuilt Fixture.

I can control rotation with live edits, but then can I safe it into presets?
axell

Re: ADJ Quad Phase HP

Post by axell »

Official support saying: Use Live Edit Presets for (fixed) Rotation (speed & directions). Wolfmix don't have a dedicated MOTOR ROTATION encoder, so how would you like to control?

And YES! You can resave an active Live Edit Preset back into a "regular Preset", just resave it while the Live Edit Preset is active.

Good news: You can edit the profile and use "other" controllers" Wolfmix HAVE and swap it to use as MOTOR ROTATION instead. Change in Profile the Rotation channel and insert a Gobo Wheel channel instead. Now add 1 Gobo Preset, make it "self-rotate" and replace it with the (UNDEF-?) Rotation channel in Mode tab.
NOW, when you press/activate the 1 Gobo Preset in GOBO, you can use the (Gobo) Rotation encoder to make the Motor move, seamless control from slow to fast.
86bibo

Post by 86bibo »

The Quad Phase HP is my most hated fixture I ever had even if I love the effect itself. I would have replaced it already, if there would be a fixture which has comparable effects.
Besides Daslight (and here it is a lot of effort) I found no DMX SW which is able to handle the Quadphase, in particular the movement. It don't have to be syncronized with the music, but at least I want to have a little bit more than just a constant rotation. Sure, the main issue is on the fixture side, because they didn't implemented a preset with different movements. The only way is to let it run in the "Sound to light" mode (via DMX), but then also the colors are randomized. I know also several other fixtures, which have the same way of mocement control like the Quadphase and none of them can be controlled with the Wolfmix or e.g. Lightrider. I cannot understand why there is no solution for that after such a long time.

I was hoping that ADJ brings an update/successor for the Quadphase, where I can just put the movement in S2L mode and have to possibility to adapt the colors indepent from that as well as a dimmer function. The reason not to do that is even more embarassing as these function are already implemented in the Quadphase and can be used in that way with the (optional) IR-Remote. It just have to be implemented in the DMX protocoll.

The Quadphase is the reason for me, not to buy a Wolfmix, as it is not working properly and I used them on each gig. So I have to stay with Daslight as long as ether the Wolfmix or ADJ found a solution for that.
axell

Post by axell »

"Create" your own realtime Rotation control by using (abusing) another DMX Type for the Rotation channel - unsupported, but works great!

Instead OTHER (?) undefined Rotation channel, simply make it a Gobo Wheel channel and add 2 Presets (GOpen and whatever "colored" Gobo for easy identification) - make Preset 2 "Self-Rotary" - done
Later when using the Rotation you simply activate GOBO page and see the "colored" (example: green) Gobo. Activate that Gobo and dial the rotary encoder - and it will start to rotate in Realtime.
Attachments
rotation.jpg
rotation.jpg (192.81 KiB) Viewed 5130 times
86bibo

Post by 86bibo »

Yes, that would be easy, but usually that Kind of fixtures Change Rotation Direction and Speed all the time. With this workaround I just can let ut Rotate with fixed speed, which is not helpfull. Or did I understand it wrong?
axell

Post by axell »

Exactly! But as the Wolfmix has no dedicated "back/forth" rotation Generator built-in to support the 10.000s of different effect variations in the market (which one do you prefer to have? ...to leave out the other 9.999?) of this effect, the "steady" rotation with realtime control is the next best thing. Pan/Tilt is not an option as it may go back/forth too, but with various speeds or "shredding" the motor very quickly switching fast from one direction into the other while at full speed. The other option is a static Live Edit value. You can't have it all.
The Wolfmix is NOT a dedicated ADJ Quad Phase HP controller, but more an universal DMX Controller to support largely the 35.000 available consumer fixtures as best (and universal) it can do.
Do also not forget that you try to connect an EFFECT-Fixture to an EFFECT-Controller and you have to give one "authority" the control. So it is either Wolfmix to control your lights - with its capabilities, or you let the fixtures go with their auto effect programs, but then also disconnected from Wolfmix control during the "Auto-Run".
86bibo

Post by 86bibo »

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to the Wolfmix looks bad. I know quite well that I have to blame ADJ for their poor DMX implementation. But in the end I have to deal with the situation. I have 2 Quadphase HP, I want to controll them via DMX. I looked a several other effect fixtures, but I found nothing which is comparable to the Quadphase HP and I don't want to downgrade my setup. So I have to find a DMX SW/HW which is capable to do that. I tried Lightrider, I tried the Pioneer Lightning Device and would love to try the Wolfmix, but none of them is able to create a dynamic movement with the Quadphase HP, so I must stay with Daslight, which is a great piece of Software, but tremendously more effort in programming and also much more equipment (Interface, add. Notebook + Midicontroller). In the end this is a lot of effort for a mobile DJ which usually just brings 2 LED-Bars, 2+4 Effect fixtures, a hazer and some uplights.

As soon as the market provides a good alternative to the Quadphase HP, it will give it a try, because all other device will most probably work well with the Wolfmix (if someone knows a good alternative, please let me know).

Thanks for the all the answers.
axell

Post by axell »

It becomes a bit philosophical now.
You try to connect an EFFECT FIXTURE to an EFFECT CONTROLLER which (obviously) fighting for EFFECT "highness". That is because an Effect fixture was created to run primarily "standalone" when no external effect controller were available (same with Gigbars etc..same base "application" but different "utilization" now), showing what it "can do" with their own effects - where an effect controller was originally build to drive "dumb" fixture without any "internal functions". Whenever you try to connect those two devices - one is taking over the other and rules with HIS effect section only applying to its attached fixtures, but then not necessarily emulating what the Effect fixture market is all offering (35.000 fixture types and daily adding more...).
So it leads naturally to a fully programmable platform (DASlight? or other (more pricier) solutions) to copy the functions the fixture is offering which you also could have at the push of the remote control for the US$/€ 200 device. Combining these 2 worlds will have its limitations here or there.
86bibo

Post by 86bibo »

Sure, I would love to give the effect "highness" to the DMX controller and also understand, that that kind of fixture is tricky, because of the way the movement is controlled. It's the same for most Effects like derby or also the Eurolite LED B-40 disco ball. Technically it is totally clear, that you cannot cover with a device like the Wolfmix all product individual features. For me a good compromise would be, if the device manufacturers would integrate semiautomatic programs which then can be controlled by the DMX Controller. Some suppliers implement something like this, some don't. So as I said, I understand the technical situation.

Nevetheless such DMX Controllers like the Wolfmix are made for small light setups like we mobil DJs use. It's not made for festivals and clubs. Unfortunatelly most mobil DJs do not use standard PAR cans or moving heads. The use combi LED Bars, effects. like derbys, etc. which or often off standard regarding DMX control. The situation on the LED Bar side got a little bit better, but it's still hard to get a proper light setup with it. That's what is frustrating me, that devices, which are intend to have the same customer group do not go well together.

But you are right, it's now a more philosophical discussion as there is no proper solution. By updating my light setup I learnd that I have to study the DMX integration before to have something "class complient" for the future. Until then I work with my current solution (which is not bad at all).

By the way: I tried to work with the Remote Control of ADJ, but it is infrared and not reliable at all at an event.