How to solve with a Wofmix

General discussion between Wolfmix owners. Checked occasionally by the Wolfmix support team.
Ferrox

How to solve with a Wofmix

Post by Ferrox »

Hi,

I currently do not own a Wolfmix, but I am quite experienced in programming Sunlite and have developed a workflow that I adore. Recently, I purchased a MIDI controller to control certain aspects of the show in real-time. However, I am interested in moving to a Wolfmix because of its straightforward setup and capabilities. Although I may have to sacrifice some of the freedom I enjoy with Sunlite, I am eager to connect multiple devices each time I create a show.

My primary focus is DJ-ing weddings, and I particularly enjoy controlling the lights to enhance the overall musical experience on the dancefloor. Here are a couple of things I am struggling to figure out in relation to the Wolfmix and adapting to its ecosystem:

Multiple FX presets:
I am unsure if it is possible to create presets that only affect the movement of fixtures without including beam or color effects. Currently, I can select a movement and then choose a color scheme to go along with it. If I were to program this in the presets on the Wolfmix, I might end up with numerous similar presets, varying only in color. On a positive note, I appreciate the random auto-start feature on the Wolfmix presets as it keeps the show interesting while I focus on my DJ-ing duties. However, my ideal scenario would be to have separate presets for color, beam, and movement, which I could then combine as needed. I am aware that it may be possible to set this up live using the FX buttons, but unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a way to save these combinations as presets for future use. I would love to have the ability to save my favorite combinations move FX with the combination of shape, speed, phase, size, and fade, even though I am aware that the audience may not notice the fine-tuning behind the scenes. If programming these combinations into presets is the only option, then so be it, though it is not my preferred way of working.
Haze:
Currently, I have programmed my hazer to operate at 25%, 50%, 75%, and 100% off the time. So, 25 seconds on, 75 seconds off. This allows me to control the amount of haze and adjust it to suit the space as needed. However, the tutorials I have come across for the Wolfmix only mention off delay or smoke output amount settings, which don't fully meet my requirements. Ideally, I want a "set and forget" approach for the hazer, unless specific adjustments are necessary due to factors such as doors closing because of loud sound. Is there a solution on the Wolfmix that allows for this level of control?
I would greatly appreciate any insights or alternative approaches from other Wolfmix users that would help me address these challenges and determine if the Wolfmix is the right fit for my needs.

Thank you in advance for your assistance!
LynetteLawson

Re: How to solve with a Wofmix

Post by LynetteLawson »

you can try using the FX keys to control the parameters individually, and consider using a separate DMX controller to control the steam generator.
You are passionate about playing the anime game Power Warriors 17.0 APK will make you satisfied Download it now at https://getmodnow.com/power-warriors-mod-apk.html website with safety and free
Ferrox

Post by Ferrox »

Thank you for your reaction.

How do you mean, using the FX keys? They don't have preset options in them to activate a preset quickly?
And a separate controller for the hazer is a no-go for me. I wan't an all-in one solution. I think it is possible with misusing beam fx on the smoke channel and lock that fixture? Is dat a possibility? (I am sill digging for awnsers on my questions)
Last edited by Ferrox on Wed Jul 26, 2023 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ferrox

Post by Ferrox »

Is there no one with this wish?

I tink there are a lot of the same hazer/smoke generators with this kind of control. I could get a standard remote with it, but i Like to know if this could be done with a wolfmix?
axell

Post by axell »

Ferrox wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 3:10 pm
Multiple FX presets:
I am unsure if it is possible to create presets that only affect the movement of fixtures without including beam or color effects. Currently, I can select a movement and then choose a color scheme to go along with it. If I were to program this in the presets on the Wolfmix, I might end up with numerous similar presets, varying only in color. On a positive note, I appreciate the random auto-start feature on the Wolfmix presets as it keeps the show interesting while I focus on my DJ-ing duties. However, my ideal scenario would be to have separate presets for color, beam, and movement, which I could then combine as needed. I am aware that it may be possible to set this up live using the FX buttons, but unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a way to save these combinations as presets for future use. I would love to have the ability to save my favorite combinations move FX with the combination of shape, speed, phase, size, and fade, even though I am aware that the audience may not notice the fine-tuning behind the scenes. If programming these combinations into presets is the only option, then so be it, though it is not my preferred way of working.
It may help to understand that Wolfmix is designed to "run on Presets"! BUT...a Preset is a complete defined STATE of the whole unit. So whatever is currently active running/not running is saved as a "full device Snapshot" - also called a Preset. So Wolfmix will ALWAYS be in one active Preset. And only ONE Preset at any given time (talking about the regular 100 presets available). I do understand you want to "build up" Presets while having a foundation "underneath" like various Move Presets you can select and then on top you change just the Colors (Presets).
The difference between Wolfmix and "other solutions" Presets would be:
* Other Solutions: 3 Move Presets + 6 Color Presets = total of 9 Presets to get 18 Effects
* Wolfmix: You indeed would need 18 Presets for 18 Effects (if you want to put all into Presets!)
TAnd THAT is the point....actually you would only need 3 Presets for MoveFX, as the Colors can be added "on the fly" (either as STATIC colors or even as effect Colors with ColorFX). So you only select your MoveFX Preset and add the Color in realtime - WITHOUT the need to store additional Color Presets

In Addition to the "different" concept (free yourself from Presets) Wolfmix allows multiple ways to work with "Mulltiple FX Presets"

1.You can store everything(!) into a Preset (save it as a System snapshot called Preset), but you don't need to
2. You can store "parts" of your Show into Presets (use them as a "foundation" you always can instantly return to) and add the additional "add on" on the fly using static or dynamic colors, moves, dimmer variations, positions, etc... on top of that
3. to go beyond the Preset you have additional Live Edit (Switches) - I don't like the word Preset here, as it implies a wrong function) - where you can "stack up" your Presets with additional functions. These Live Edits also can be stacked = activate multiple "Switches" simultaneous, where you "would get your original idea of a stacked Presets" closer to reality. BUT... this is not the intention/idea/use of the Live Edit and you only have 40 of them for - actually- a different use. Do not try to "squeeze" your Sunlite Workflow 1:1 onto Wolfmix. You will then more limit yourself in what can be possible and achieved with Wolfmix.

Accept the new concept of having most actions already available in the 3 Effect sections (ColorFX, MoveFX, BeamFX) with 8 pattern in each section PLUS the realtime controllers for alterations and in addition to have static manipulations of Color, Position, Gobo selections, Strobe, Blinder & Blackout, all at your fingertips in Realtime. You will get more out of it as a Live DMX controller as you would by using the Wolfmix just as a Preset DMX controller/player.
(Personally I only use very few basic Presets as "foundations" for room atmo (mostly coloring uplightings with very long color transitions) - and when it comes to "dance floor" action, I only have another 4 or 5 Presets as a base - the rest is done in Realtime on the fly)
Last edited by axell on Fri Sep 08, 2023 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
axell

Post by axell »

Haze:
Currently, I have programmed my hazer to operate at 25%, 50%, 75%, and 100% off the time. So, 25 seconds on, 75 seconds off. This allows me to control the amount of haze and adjust it to suit the space as needed. However, the tutorials I have come across for the Wolfmix only mention off delay or smoke output amount settings, which don't fully meet my requirements. Ideally, I want a "set and forget" approach for the hazer, unless specific adjustments are necessary due to factors such as doors closing because of loud sound. Is there a solution on the Wolfmix that allows for this level of control?
The Fogger/Hazer support on Wolfmix is a 2 channel Support - ch1 Fog/Haze amount and ch2 Fan speed. There is no timer associated in the DMX implementation of Wolfmix other than the 3 predefined Presets for the SMOKE button, running 1 sec, 5 sec or 10 sec when being pressed. However, if you use a Hazer where you can also control Interval times and Duration times thru DMX, then you can use Live Edit to control your 4 settings using 4 Live Edit Presets over DMX from Wolfmix. Enter the timings into the Live Edit presets send THIS data with the Live Edit (Preset) then to the Hazer and the Hazer will run the associated Preset timings.
Ferrox

Post by Ferrox »

axell wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 7:30 am
Haze:
The Fogger/Hazer support on Wolfmix is a 2 channel Support - ch1 Fog/Haze amount and ch2 Fan speed. There is no timer associated in the DMX implementation of Wolfmix other than the 3 predefined Presets for the SMOKE button, running 1 sec, 5 sec or 10 sec when being pressed. However, if you use a Hazer where you can also control Interval times and Duration times thru DMX, then you can use Live Edit to control your 4 settings using 4 Live Edit Presets over DMX from Wolfmix. Enter the timings into the Live Edit presets send THIS data with the Live Edit (Preset) then to the Hazer and the Hazer will run the associated Preset timings.
The HZ-350 does not support such an setup unfortunately. So on/off timer function would be welcome. I can buy the remote for this, which has this possibility built in and keep it out of the DMX string.

I like the way you think of the "sunlite". workflow. It is the thing I am familiar with. I programmed it a lot. But I am scared that adjusting things live gives weird things. But i can alway revert to a preset fixing it. Maybe it is just something getting used to or getting comfy with. I have heads with for example an iris. But there are no movements possible with it? Sunlite has some build in presets using the iris to give an awesome effect (open-close movements). But i'll guess this is just a trade-off between the setups. I am fan of the wolfmix and drop some functionality in favor of it.

If I take it overall, most things I do can perfectly recreated with the wolfmix, AND implement new lights faster. I have some things to think about ;)
axell

Post by axell »

For your IRIS effect (open/close) reassign the IRIS channel with ZOOM. Then you can use the "auto"-Zoom In/Out of Wolfmix instead. In BeamFX, press SIZE/FEATURE encoder, dial to ZOOM and activate BeamFX - voilá Auo"IRIS".