Ableton Link/Beam FX BUG

General discussion between Wolfmix owners. Checked occasionally by the Wolfmix support team.
leesinthemix

Ableton Link/Beam FX BUG

Post by leesinthemix »

Hi Simon,

Happy New Year!

I've discovered a pretty glaring flaw with the way Ableton Link operates on the W1.

It does not appear to always follow the phase of a track's beatgrid, which is one of the main features of Link.

In the below video you will see I have a simple heartbeat FX on a 1 beat loop, which I then change to a 4 beat loop. I realise that as you are playing a 1 Beat loop and then switch to a 4 Beat loop, this will mean you are out of phase with the Beat 1 of the bar.

However, I also then setup two separate presets, one for a 1 beat loop and another for a 4 beat loop. When I press the 4 beat loop preset, the FX timers do not reset the phase so that the highest intensity of the dimmer is at Beat 1 of the bar, following the phase of Ableton Link.

This is quite a big issue, because it means that it's impossible to build a light show (columns and pages of presets playing in succession), which will actually follow in phase with a live or DJ set, as the Ableton Link protocol intends.

I am pretty certain that this is the same issue I highlighted last year when I discovered that the Movement FX timers are not reset when a new preset is triggered. Unless only the Movement timers have been reset and Beam FX has not? You said this would be fixed in Firmware 0.7.0.

Would be great if you can take a look please 8-)
Last edited by leesinthemix on Mon Jan 16, 2023 12:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
leesinthemix

Re: Ableton Link/Beam FX BUG

Post by leesinthemix »

Link to video. Beam FX on 1 beat loop, then 4 beat loop.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7m1zls28iy5zd ... 3.mp4?dl=0
leesinthemix

Re: Ableton Link/Beam FX BUG

Post by leesinthemix »

Link to video. Switching between preset of 1 beat loop and then 4 beat loop.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/viwbgmtw1rtkf ... 4.mp4?dl=0