DMX In/Out/Thru?

General discussion between Wolfmix owners. Checked occasionally by the Wolfmix support team.
leesinthemix

DMX In/Out/Thru?

Post by leesinthemix »

Hey there,

I'm was curious about the Wolfmix's ability to pass through DMX data from another source, seeing as you're able to send data to and from a second W1 using Wlink.

I currently use Soundswitch as my main lightning system, which just works very well for me as I use Serato for my events.
However, I am considering purchasing a Wolfmix to control my movers/LED bars, as I believe you offer much better features for these type of fixtures.
I would keep Soundswitch to control my uplights/strobes/wash lights, as they sync with Serato perfectly.

The Soundswitch Control One can only operate as a THRU when the software is closed, which is a bit of a pain considering it has DMX inputs :lol:

Can the W1 operate as a THRU source for the Control One?

My thinking would be...

Control One > Wolfmix > W-DMX transmitter > Lights

Thanks for your time guys!
Simon

Re: DMX In/Out/Thru?

Post by Simon »

Yes this is possible. You can pass through up to 512 DMX channels and link them directly with output channels. Each channel has a 'FORCE' mode which means your DMX input will take priority over anything else the Wolfmix wants to do with the channel. You'll need the WLINK add-on and to use the 5-pin XLR socket. Further info here:
https://www.wolfmix.com/support-content ... dmx_faders
leesinthemix

Post by leesinthemix »

Awesome,

Think I'll be ordering one in the next couple of weeks, I'll let you know how I get on with everything!
DJ-T

Post by DJ-T »

leesinthemix wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:09 pm Awesome,

Think I'll be ordering one in the next couple of weeks, I'll let you know how I get on with everything!
Hello,

I am also thinking about adding Soundswitch to my Wolfmix.

@ leesinthemix
Did everything work as planned and how exactly did you make the settings?
leesinthemix

Post by leesinthemix »

Hi mate,

I did get everything setup and I enjoyed the functionality at first, as I found the ability to choose my colours from SS and the strobe option a bit more pleasing.

However, due to the W1 using the colour channels for the Beam FX (rather than master dimmer), this made the workflow pretty useless as I was not able to use Beam FX on the W1 at all for most of my fixtures, as DMX Force mode would override Beam FX with the currently selected colour on SS.

Also, once changes were made to the Heartbeat Beam FX in a firmware update a few months back, it meant I could do exactly the same beat pulses with my wash fixtures, as I could in SS, but much faster and without all the faff of spending hours programming it all.

I now just keep my SS Control One in my living room setup at home and the W1 is now what I use at all my paid gigs.
Soundswitch development is very slow and I can't see them making an overhaul of how moving heads operate, anytime soon.
They've been going for around five years and you still can't set fixture limits on moving heads. Baffling!