Question about DMX IN/Thru & other DMX controller

General discussion between Wolfmix owners. Checked occasionally by the Wolfmix support team.
PiePatraque

Question about DMX IN/Thru & other DMX controller

Post by PiePatraque »

Hello here!

I received the Wolfmix a few weeks ago and I a really happy with it! It is really super easy to use, the effects are stunning and preparing a full show is really fast with it!

In the future I might want to control different moving lights ans would like to apply different patterns to different groups. The wolfmix has only 1 move effect (+the "beam-move-effect trick").

I would like to keep the lights making fast and crazy moves, with patterns changing a lot on the wolfmix (scans...), and have some more ambiant lights (wash moving head...) with more simple patterns controlled by a simple dmx controller.

I read the articles and watch the video about using the DMX IN function (with the Wlink addon) in "FORCE" mode with FADERS to control DMX channel from another controller.

But does this works with programmable scenes ?

So just to be sure: I could use something like this : https://www.thomann.de/gb/adj_dmx_opera ... 9&reload=1 to programme a move scene (using the pan and tilt channels) for wash moving head for example, and then let those channels be controlled by the ADJ operator, and the rest of the channels of the mopving head controlled by the Wolfmix?
PiePatraque

Re: Question about DMX IN/Thru & other DMX controller

Post by PiePatraque »

No one is able to answer this question?
axell

Post by axell »

In "THEORY" that COULD work. But probably nobody yet has tested it.
I think nobody really knows what DMX Data the ADJ Operator is actually sending out and if it is plain Channel Value / DMX value data.

Besides, what would be the benefit of having another controller connected to the Wolfmix to drive additional effects THRU the Wolfmix and not just attach the other fixtures direct to the other controller if you want to have more effect engine power? Start/Stop and also pattern selection still has to come from the ADJ Operator and the assigned fixtures (Channels) are exclusive assigned (FORCE DMX IN) to this Controller and are not available for Wolfmix own effects any more.
(Someone has bought a 2nd Wolfmix and is driving the DMX IN as a 2nd Effect generator, but the 2 Wolfmix are running NOT in SYNC mode - they are logically behave individual, but you have the same user Interface - twice)
PiePatraque

Post by PiePatraque »

Thank you axell for your answer!
Besides, what would be the benefit of having another controller connected to the Wolfmix to drive additional effects THRU the Wolfmix and not just attach the other fixtures direct to the other controller if you want to have more effect engine power?
The benefit would be to control nearly everything with the Wolfmix, because of how fast, fun and easy it is to create a show with the wolfmix, and to be able to use the color and beam effect of the wolmix on all the fixtures. The other controller would be there only to control the pan/tilt channel of some fixtures.

The other benefit would be to use only one DMX cable between the VJ booth and the scene with the fixtures.

I guess the best way to know for sure is to try! If a can get my hands on a simple dmx controller I will try and report here.
leesinthemix

Post by leesinthemix »

You can control the Pan/Tilt via an external desk. Easy!

You will need to know the DMX channel being sent by the said fader and make sure that none of your fixtures are assigned to that channel in question.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/elation_sdc_6 ... _black.htm

This desk will use DMX channels 1-6, so when using DMX force, you'll need to keep 1-6 free on your 512 DMX map.
axell

Post by axell »

That is correct! (besides I am also using a small 6Ch DMX Fader box next to my Wolfmix which increases the usability of the Wolfmix quite a lot).

BUT... I believe Piet is not just after a plain Pan/Tilt positioning, but actually asking for "complete" Moving Head patterns, such as 8-ball or Circle or similar (which you can't create with just the 2 faders of a DMX Fader box).

Still, when having another "desk" for automated Pan/Tilt figures, you need to trigger it from the "desk" and not from the Wolfmix, so my questions remain: Why you want to connect the (other) Moving Heads to the Wolfmix, when you have to trigger it from the desk anyway AND also those assigned (Pan/Tilt) channels are exclusive assigned to the desk (by FORCE DMX IN) and cannot be used for regular Wolfmix activities any more?

IF I have a need for different effects, I would check the Fixture, if they eventually have "built-in" auto-program features, which you can "enable" (thru Wolfmix!) by simply switch On/Off a Live Edit Preset. There is also an "independent" (just) PAN or TILT option hidden in BeamFX at the SIZE/FEATURE encoder, if that is enough to separate a Group from the normal MoveFX movements.