Blackout via footcontroller

General discussion between Wolfmix owners. Checked occasionally by the Wolfmix support team.
cassettejunkie

Blackout via footcontroller

Post by cassettejunkie »

What is needed to simply be able to blackout via a footcontroller? We use this live as a band and just want to remotely via a simple foot switch.
Do i also have to purchase wtools . i do have access to a cheap chavet controller with a blackout button. Not really a lighting guy but have managed to get it going with 3 different fixtures so far, just overlooked this need live on stage as i can't get to the button and start a song...
i am trying to do this quickly. Thanks for any advice in advance.
AlexR

Re: Blackout via footcontroller

Post by AlexR »

Hello,

While there is not a direct way to control blackout via footswitch there is a workaround. Because you can control preset switching via footswitch you can create a preset that has all dimmers set to 0% and when you recall the preset a blackout will be achieved. Another way of achieving this is with a footpedal if you have access to one, you could link this pedal to the Global Dimmer (found within Settings > Groups) and achieve a blackout when the pedal is at 0%.

WTOOLS is a free application - no need to purchase. Although it is required for full Wolfmix functionality as this is how you sync profiles and projects to your device.

https://wolfmix.com/download

Let me how it goes!

Alex
Wolfmix Support
Alex
Wolfmix Support
leesinthemix

Re: Blackout via footcontroller

Post by leesinthemix »

AlexR wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:48 pm Hello,

While there is not a direct way to control blackout via footswitch there is a workaround. Because you can control preset switching via footswitch you can create a preset that has all dimmers set to 0% and when you recall the preset a blackout will be achieved. Another way of achieving this is with a footpedal if you have access to one, you could link this pedal to the Global Dimmer (found within Settings > Groups) and achieve a blackout when the pedal is at 0%.

WTOOLS is a free application - no need to purchase. Although it is required for full Wolfmix functionality as this is how you sync profiles and projects to your device.

https://wolfmix.com/download

Let me how it goes!

Alex
Wolfmix Support
This is quite a convoluted workaround Alex for such a simple command.

Myself and others have been requesting the ability to map DMX channels to global parameters for some time now and this would really improve workflows for everyone.
I get the hesitancy for implementing this, as we don't want to make things more confusing for casual users, but you could always have a global setting to turn this feature on and off, which would keep everyone happy.

The added benefit for this feature, is you wouldn't need to build in MIDI functionality into the W1 (despite us all wanting it). If we could control global parameters like Movement Speed, Beam FX speed, Strobe Speed, Blackout, Smoke etc via DMX channels, then that would keep us happy and avoid time consuming development of integrating MIDI (which would still require a laptop to be connected to the W1 anyway).