Interest of Wolfmix for certain type of fixtures

General discussion between Wolfmix owners. Checked occasionally by the Wolfmix support team.
PHC

Interest of Wolfmix for certain type of fixtures

Post by PHC »

Good day everybody,

I'm a DJ with a small amount, but efficient on the dance floor, of light effects for now.
I'm planning to buy the Wolfmix however I will appreciate if I could get some information and return of experiences from you guys.

My light set is composed of two lyres BeamZ FUZE 75s, a PEGASE effect from Power Lighting and a laser KUB1500RGB from BoomtoneDJ.

I know that those three fixtures are already referenced on the Wolfmix database. But the PEGASE (23 channels!) and the laser do not seems to be the prefered type of effect for the Wolfmix which seems to be more lyre and PAR led/sunstrip's oriented.

I would like to know what I will really be able to control on this two particular devices with the Wolfmix. Is it in this type of configuration that the live edit will be particularly relevant and efficient?

Based on my actual light set, what is my interest to get the Wolfmix over my BeamZ DMX384 actual DMX controller? Knowing that I'm alone for mixing and lighting, will I get some efficency and improve my lightshow with the Wolfmix?

Thank you for your time.

Wish you a great day.

Best regards,
Philippe
PHC

Re: Interest of Wolfmix for certain type of fixtures

Post by PHC »

Well... Obviously nobody get interrested to answer anything.

Interresting...

I'm going to answer myself so.

I bought the Wolfmix with the View Connect option.

No prob with the lyres, which I expected. It works great both with the Wolfmix and the View Connect. I was able to program live edit and presets comfortably in my living room then test it in live. It works like a charm.
The Pegase is recognized but need some adjustments and live edit to get most of it.
The KUB1500 is recognized but do not work at all straight out of the box. But live edit is a kind of genius thing and I was able to program all that I want with it.
None of the Pegase nor the KUB1500 works with View Connect.

Hope that could help some people...

Cheers
Philippe
axell

Post by axell »

I do not want to start a "philosophical" discussion about Laser on Wolfmix. But here are some facts:

Wolfmix was never considered to control Lasers initially. There are enough special Laser Control (PC) software available and there is usually also different connectivity to do that really good!

However, IF(!) a Laser has DMX input AND(!) can be controlled by "pure" RGB Color channels, THEN (and only THEN) it CAN make sense to attach a Laser to Wolfmix and control their Color part (and MOSTLY just the Color part) thru it. It will approximately gives you 20% of the Lasers effect capabilities. JUST switching on/off Color beams at best (no RGB color mixing), no figures or graphics (i.e. tunnels, ...) no "3D turns of figures" etc. It greatly depends of the Lasers own DMX implementation, WHAT you can show and what NOT. So there is no general rule to it.
You will also NOT be able to control the Lasers movements to satisfaction. There are no Laser movement DMX implementations (particular special Laser Channels) defined in Wolfmix. DMX control like Grating Slice Selection, Auxiliary Control distortion effects, Gradient Control, Progressive Drawing Control, Note Pen Control or Pattern Discoloration are not known to regular RGB PARs or Moving Heads, so you don't find them in the Wolfmix. Also missing the Z-Axis totally (and cannot be used from somewhere else), and even X-Axis & Y-Axis are different to regular Pan/Tilt and can not be substituted 1:1 for that. So the big issue is: Lasers do work different compared to "non Laser" RGB fixtures, even as a "DMX device".

Most (professional) Lasers do have an ILDA connection to attach to their (PC) software for control. That is their main connection and control. Todays (mostly consumer) Lasers may also have DMX connectivity to control CERTAIN functions of a Laser thru DMX controllers and that is the reason why questions like above are coming from. The answer is: With DMX you can (eventually) switch on/off certain single Laser beams, if the control channels (R, G, B) exists to do that. AND you eventually can "fire up" some of the Lasers built in (pre-programmed) figures and movement by using certain DMX values in their Macro (Auto-program) section, if your Laser does have those. How much of the Laser effect capabilities you get when connecting to a DMX controller depends greatly at the look in the Lasers user manual and "translate" their DMX implementation into the Controllers (here Wolfmix) capabilities. If things don't match, they will not work. (RGB channels - OK, X/Y/Z-Axis control - meep).

Summary: you may be ABLE to ATTACH DMX Lasers to the Wolfmix and you MAY can "fire up" pre-programmed figures, but you will not have "full fledged" control of a Laser thru a (RGB / Moving Head) Wolfmix controller. That is something the special PC Software folks are offering.

If you want to attach a Laser to Wolfmix it greatly depends on the DMX implementations of the Laser (what channels TYPES are used), in order to be "semi" successful" or not.
PHC

Post by PHC »

Hi axell,

I appreciate your detailed and interresting insight regarding the laser and especially on Wolfmix.

Effectively you describe my experience. The live edit allowed me to program certain figures and form that I find interresting to call at anytime.
I was able also to trigger the sound on the laser with the same live edit.

My laser has the ILDA connector which will allow me to ran it with a more specific program in the future.

For the moment, I'm satisfied with what I can achieve with the Wolfmix and my lights. I was also able to program perfectly four scans owned by a friend of mine and everything is easy and efficient to program and run in live.

I definitely could recommend the Wolfmix.

Thank you for your time!

Cheers
Philippe