Groups "other"

General discussion between Wolfmix owners. Checked occasionally by the Wolfmix support team.
Djhawkeye

Groups "other"

Post by Djhawkeye »

Have I understand it correctly that the group "other" is for example mirrorball, laser, smokemashine with led when smoke button pressed and the group "other" is excluded from color fx ( color chase order) move fx ( fan sweep order), beam fx, color, position and group dimmer and can only be controlled by live edit?
axell

Re: Groups "other"

Post by axell »

I like to add the following observation to the Group OTHER comment:

You have 8 Groups (A-H) supporting ALL (!) DMX Styles. Main purpose here is for Color, Beam and Movement control, and you can also trigger Strobe and even Smoke channels thru them. BUT...it would be a "waste" of available Group numbers to put a "just" Strobe and/or a "just" Smoke device onto such a "full DMX support" Group - where the main purpose would be for Color and Movement control. You would lose one of the precious 8 Groups for Color and Movement only for a "Strobe or Smoke" command. A quite expensive tradeoff for Color/Movement control.
So we were given a "limited" Group called OTHER. The "limitation" with OTHER is, that this Group is NOT capable to display any Color or Movement, even if you would load such fixture into the Group OTHER. My observation was, even a profile with a DIMMER channel (with default 255) was forced to value 000 when being assigned to Group OTHER, being put on a "regular" Group DIMMER was again at 255, as expected. So all Color, Movement and everything with a DIMMER needs to be on Group A-H. Special fixtures without Color, Dimmer or Movements can and should be assigned to Group OTHER.

Why can this be important?
Some may have special (just) Strobe devices, 2 Channels, Ch1 is Dimmer(!!) , Ch2 = Strobe. If putting on Group OTHER ("it's just Strobe, it's OK") it will not work, as Dimmer will be "forced" to (000 = off).
Djhawkeye

Post by Djhawkeye »

Thanks for the clarification. I have put a laser and the smoke in the "other" group. I start the laser with the live edit and change the inbuilt laser program by a few different live edits.
The smoke has one color and dimmer channel for the led that lights up when pressing smoke so I have one live edit for all presets programmed to 100 % dimmer and Blu color on the smoke dmx channels. That should work because live edit takes over or?
axell

Post by axell »

Yes, Live Edit has a quite high DMX priority over most of the Wolfmix DMX stack (as you can see in the reference manual -page 10). Only Fader DMX IN (Force) can overrule that.
Another option could be to "split" your Smoke fixture and assign the Dimmer/Color to a "regular" Group and leave the Smoke part on Other Group. So no Live Edit would be needed.
Djhawkeye

Post by Djhawkeye »

Yes I thought about that but I made a new fixture profile to my smokemashine and changed the dimmer, strob and color chanel to other so I can control the strobe dimmer and color as I want. Btw it's a Cameo Steam Wizard 2000