Roland VC-1 DMX to control Wolfmix W1 using MIDI

General discussion between Wolfmix owners. Checked occasionally by the Wolfmix support team.
leesinthemix

Roland VC-1 DMX to control Wolfmix W1 using MIDI

Post by leesinthemix »

Hey!

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a small (6-8 faders max + a few buttons/not essential) DMX board which has motorised faders and more than one layer?

Been using the SD6 for around a year now, but looking for something more versatile. Budget could be up to £300 for the right unit.

There are SO many compact MIDI controllers with motorised faders on the market, but very few small DMX boards.

Cheers!
Last edited by leesinthemix on Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
leesinthemix

Re: Motorised Fader Box

Post by leesinthemix »

So I actually came up with a solution to this and it's probably the only way I could do it.

Using a Roland VC-1 DMX which I managed to pick up second hand for £200 (retails at £400-450), I can send MIDI Note and CC values from a controller and convert them to DMX. The unit is capable of doubling a MIDI value and adding up to 127x gain, depending on what DMX value you're aiming to hit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ig5bTneMERY

I used a Behringer X-Touch Mini that I've had for years, which allows me to send either a momentary or toggle MIDI message, as well as define the minimum and maximum values. I can now change a DMX value from any of my fixtures or multiple, so long as they're the same fixture.
Gobo rotation for example, I can now dial in using a rotary encoder, with LED feedback.
Eventually, I might grab the Behringer X Touch Compact, as it has motorised faders across two layers and would open up even more customisation.

I'll record a short video of all of this in action using a visualiser at some point this week.

In the future, if Wolfmix opened up the possibility for global parameters (other than group dimmers) to be controlled by a single DMX value, then this could become an awesome way to open up more functionality from the W1!!!

Simon, I hope you're seeing this!