Experience in setting up lasers?

General discussion between Wolfmix owners. Checked occasionally by the Wolfmix support team.
djaydavidz

Experience in setting up lasers?

Post by djaydavidz »

I’m interested in people that have setup lasers and were able to make them work with the built-in FX features.
Currently I have a hard time getting stuff to work like size, offset, rotate and patterns.
So I’m really wondering how you guys approached this.

Of course I know you can program presets manually, but it would be great if I could use the built-in FX programs for these features.
My laser’s DMX sheet can be found here: https://www.laserworld.com/en/download- ... I_web.html

Thanks in advance,
David
axell

Re: Experience in setting up lasers?

Post by axell »

Generally speaking - No - !
Laser are not the target fixtures of Wolfmix. Wolfmix is good at RGB PARs, LED Bars and (standard) Moving Heads (without too many "bells & whistles" and "super extras").

To a very limited function Laser "COULD" be attached and integrated to the Wolfmix, but it depends largely WHAT Laser it is and what DMX implementation it has. Laser do have different controls - even thru DMX - on Colors and on movements than regular RGB fixtures. These are not available in the Wolfmix DMX engine, so they have to be (if possible) "simulated/emulated" by other regular DMX controls, which do not match too good then.

Requirements:
A Laser with a (most) simple DMX control table (beside the ILDA standard)
There should be "auto-programs" available incl auto movements
Create a "best possible" matching profile to select "auto-programs" thru Presets (either by Color Wheel or Gobo selection and also Rotation)
...and you can (partly) control a Laser thru Wolfmix within its functional limitations

Another - even more static way - is to program 3 or 4 static settings of the "auto-programs" (fixed program / fixed movement / fixed size) in Live Edit Presets and fire them off by the push on the Preset button.

But Lasers can not be fully CONTROLLED by Wolfmix thru the (ColoFX, MoveFX or BeamFX) effect engine!
leesinthemix

Post by leesinthemix »

I've used the CS1000 MK3 with Wolfmix. It's actually quite a good laser to control with DMX as you're able to set the projection X&Y limits and be "relatively" safe with it. Usually this is only possible in programs like Pangolin Quickshow/Beyond.

You're best of using the LIVE EDIT section for your patterns, size and rotation and then the presets or colour section for your colours.

I would also strongly recommend you assign the laser to it's own group and use an external DMX fader board to control the master dimmer of your laser (set the specific channel to DMX Force In mode).
This is good for safety reasons AND you are able to change your patterns and bring in the brightness of the laser gradually, at the moments you choose.
I've also found it worthwhile to map a DMX fader to the rotation speed of the laser using DMX Force; including setting a min and max value for the fader. That gives you a bit of tactile live control to things and it's quite a lot of fun.

One other way to give yourself some safety precautions, would be to map the DMX board using Force In mode to control the X&Y of the laser (using two faders). If I'm correct then you'll be able to use the inbuilt programs, but the X&Y projection area will not change.

One snag is that you probably will not be able to use a visualiser to do all of this unfortunately so that adds to the time it will take to program everything.

Simon from Wolfmix explains how to set up a fader board here... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6aZ5yG3EMw&t=1s

Best of luck with it mate!
LeeLad

Post by LeeLad »

Hi,

I've had laser success but this had to be done though live edit.

Cheers