Feature Request: Single Channel Slider Group

General discussion between Wolfmix owners. Checked occasionally by the Wolfmix support team.
moka

Re: Feature Request: Single Channel Slider Group

Post by moka »

leesinthemix wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:23 am Having a hardware slider is more desirable than a touch screen slider, because you can be much more accurate with adjustments and that should always be the desired outcome with lighting. It's a small screen and the slider has 255 data points and is more complicated than working with MIDI faders, which are just 127 data points.

Building the functionality to not use hardware, just because it "looks good" doesn't really cut it in the lighting industry I'm afraid.
Thanks for your insights! As I don't have professional lighting background I find it very interesting.
Still I'm a Wolfmix owner and see usage for this (as in my case minimal space consuming setup is crucial and more important than the 255 steps accuracy of a hardware slider and adjustments with the knob would suit me). The beauty of software is (and that's more where my background is) that it can extend the possibilities you can do with a computer/machine which might be useful for some users/use cases which you are not thinking about when looking at it with the view of your background. it might bring other potential customers. User who don't need it would simply focus on other functionality :)
leesinthemix

Post by leesinthemix »

moka wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 8:30 pm
leesinthemix wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:23 am Having a hardware slider is more desirable than a touch screen slider, because you can be much more accurate with adjustments and that should always be the desired outcome with lighting. It's a small screen and the slider has 255 data points and is more complicated than working with MIDI faders, which are just 127 data points.

Building the functionality to not use hardware, just because it "looks good" doesn't really cut it in the lighting industry I'm afraid.
Thanks for your insights! As I don't have professional lighting background I find it very interesting.
Still I'm a Wolfmix owner and see usage for this (as in my case minimal space consuming setup is crucial and more important than the 255 steps accuracy of a hardware slider and adjustments with the knob would suit me). The beauty of software is (and that's more where my background is) that it can extend the possibilities you can do with a computer/machine which might be useful for some users/use cases which you are not thinking about when looking at it with the view of your background. it might bring other potential customers. User who don't need it would simply focus on other functionality :)
Are you sure you'd be comfortable with a software 'fader' solution which would result in drastic jumps up and down in dimming smoothness?
Your fingers could be sweaty, the screen could jump or not catch up with your movements in time.

Think about that when it comes to doing a show. A wedding or a band gig. If you can't give your audience smooth dimming, then you'll end up with erratic transitions and dimming leading to a poor lighting show.
MPGTechnikTeam

Post by MPGTechnikTeam »

Did y'all forget that we have literal knobs?
We can control the dimming of a group with the knobs already and you aren't complaining about it jumping around, are you?
I'd prefer just being able to use the knob for precision, so no jumping around or touchscreen latency.

And as already said, software really shouldn't be a problem, as the Wolfmix already has such functionality in the Live Edit screen. We'd just need to add a display for the current number.