Multiple presets playing at once

General discussion between Wolfmix owners. Checked occasionally by the Wolfmix support team.
EmilLock

Multiple presets playing at once

Post by EmilLock »

Hi, im new to The forum and new to The w1. I have one on The way in The Mail and using The wait to Get to know it as much as i can without it.

My light journey has been mydmx3.0 -> Obsidian onyx with a NX wing and now The w1.

In both mydmx and onyx i used to make cues (presets on w1) to save diferent movements, and diferent colors, and often some presets for solo lights like a blinder or strobe.

Is it possible to play multiple presets at The same time and in this way build The presetbank with diferent atributes and combine? If not, how would you go about to something similar?
axell

Re: Multiple presets playing at once

Post by axell »

Ok, new Controller, new concept , "new thinking". :-)
The W1 has 2 sets of Presets: (100) "regular" Presets (being called fm the Preset button lower right hand corner) and (40) additional "Live Edit Presets" (being activated by the lower left side over STATIC)

The "regular" Presets can only be active one at any given time! Period.
But as you have plenty of them you can create variations of them, place 'em in one row and then "auto-Play" them per row or per page (or even random). Live Edit Presets however CAN have multiple Presets active but they serving actually a different purpose: With Live Edit Presets you can create "overlay" Presets (switching On/Off an additional function in addition to your regular running Presets without interrupting the "main" Show). They also serves as Presets to store special functions which are not accessable thru the normal User Interface, like Rotation, or Prism, or ....

Different movements are only accessible via the Move FX patterns and their adjustments (speed, phase, size). The W1 is a SINGLE" effect engine, so there is only one effect possible at any given time (while running in parallel 1 effect on ColorFX and 1 effect on BeamFX simultaneous!). Also I should mention that the Live Edit Presets do NOT store movements(!), only single fixed DMX values, so you would "freeze" a Pan/Tilt movement to the values you have programmed it with if you put a DMX value on a Pan or Tilt channel.
A "workaround" could be that you have another "1/2" of an effect generator in BeamFX. On the SIZE encoder you find FEATURE, press the encoder, enable the FEATURE and dial to ZOOM, IRIS; PAN, TILT, and you have an independent 2nd movement (it's either or Pan OR Tilt! - Not Both, no patterns, no circles, just up/down or left/right movements) for your "other" Moving Head Group, not part of the main MoveFX Moving Head Group.
EmilLock

Post by EmilLock »

I will have to change The way i think and design😁

But what about dmx controlled fixtures that Are not lights. Like cold sparks and flame machines.
axell

Post by axell »

For Sparks & Flame devices you can use whatever you have available for:

Live Edit Presets are there to exactly fulfill such "non-Light" DMX requests. Simply store the DMX value you want to trigger the device with in the appropriate (Fire) channel and push the Preset - done
You can also define it as Smoke channel and trigger via the SMOKE button.
You can put it on Color Wheel channel in a "special" profile and trigger via a "defined" Color, so it "sends" a certain DMX value to such device and initiate the flame or spark.
Or you can put it even on a Gobo Wheel and create certain Gobos to trigger the Flame etc.

So many options available. Sometimes direct access via Live Edit presets, sometimes it needs a little more creativity to "bend" the DMX data to do what you want it to do :-)
EmilLock

Post by EmilLock »

Wow, did not dive in to live edits yet; this is perfect. Thank you 😁
axell

Post by axell »

Yes, the Live Edit Presets are very "powerful", but also use it with caution, basically for 2 of its features:

1: In the DMX hierachy they almost are at the highest priority, so they can "overwrite" everything what's being programmed in lower priority.
2: It is important to know that Live Edit Presets are storing not only the edits you want to accomplish, but EVERYTHING else what is currently active in the background too.

Because of the 2 powerful features I recommend before creating a Live Edit Preset you want to make sure NO effect (ColorFX; MoveFX, BeamFX) is active on ANY of the Groups, NO static Color is selected on any Groups in Preset slots 1-5 and 6-10, NO Position is active and NO Gobo is active.
With THAT setup you can now create your edits in Live Edit Presets. Now when you run a Show and select the Live Edit Preset "on top of the Show", then only your effect will be "added" (without interfering with another/different setting which was active in background when creating the Preset)