Feature Request: Improved Color Picker Functionality for Fixtures w/ Color Wheel

General discussion between Wolfmix owners. Checked occasionally by the Wolfmix support team.
calebjfine

Feature Request: Improved Color Picker Functionality for Fixtures w/ Color Wheel

Post by calebjfine »

Hi all,

I hope I'm able to accurately describe the issue I am encountering. Please feel free to ask for further clarification so I may better explain if needed. I own a set of Chauvet Intimidator Hybrid 140SRs which have a color wheel opposed to RGB color mixing. When I visit the Static Colors page I am able to select colors thru the RGB and RGBAWU tabs (which do not work because this particular fixture has a color wheel, not color mixing) and thru the presets tab. The problem is, even on the presets tab, these colors are determined using RGB values, not by the DMX value associated with each color on the color wheel of the fixture. The feature I propose is a fourth tab, which would enable the selection of the desired color directly from the color wheel (or simply a way to associate the DMX value of desired color with a Static Colors button).

Hopefully that all makes sense. There may be a feature for this that I'm simply not aware of, but I feel that I'm accustomed enough with the controller to already know if that was the case. Would appreciate some insight from anyone who knows more about this than me or who is also experiencing this problem. Wolfmix, this feature would be super beneficial and a game-changer for me. Thanks for reading!
PiePatraque

Re: Feature Request: Improved Color Picker Functionality for Fixtures w/ Color Wheel

Post by PiePatraque »

Hello,

I just wanted to say that I really support this feature! I got some scans with color wheel, and it is not possible to choose the yellow color on the wheel with the color picker.

I went around this by creating a "yellow" live edit. But then as live edit overwrite everything, color FX can no longer be applied to the fixture.

I guess it would be possible to modify the fixture profile, but as I got the Wolfmix since a few weeks only I did not dive into this for now^^
axell

Re: Feature Request: Improved Color Picker Functionality for Fixtures w/ Color Wheel

Post by axell »

If you have "multiple" Color inputs ( I once created a profile with 8(!) Color Wheels) or "mixed" Color inputs (like RGB and a ColorWheel in one fixture) it is recommended to create a profile with more than just one beam.
Simply create a profile with 2, 3 or more beams (up to 64 beams are supported) and assign all control to one beam, the RGB to another beam, the color wheel again to another as well as strobe and so on, and you are set. No issues with "multi beam" fixtures, besides even better and more comfortable control. When loading the fixture and you "split" the profile, you then assign certain "beams" to different Groups and then you can control them separately.
Simon

Post by Simon »

The issue is that sometimes the colors are not programmed perfectly in the profile. For example it should be possible to trigger your yellow color. If you can post your color channel from the manual, we'll try and improve the profile.

Having said that, we have found a few cases where fixtures have a special color which is difficult to find with the color picker. We're considering putting an option to trigger a specific color from a color wheel (like you can on the live edits screen).
MPGTechnikTeam

Post by MPGTechnikTeam »

I still can't control my moving head with just a color wheel in the static color tab. What am I doing wrong?
I don't mind the colors being inaccurate btw, it just gets on my nerves when I have to switch Live Edits everytime and wipe everything I currently have changed in Move and Beam FX.
axell

Post by axell »

There are a few colors like Lavender or Canary Yellow which are too close to the GENERIC Colors and will probably pick the wrong Preset (DMX Range) then.

I think the standard profile needs to have some "adjustments" to match better certain functionality of the fixture. This can be done by the fixture owner and can be accomplished by using the Profile Builder (cloud.nicolaudiegroup.com).
TimRaijmakers

Post by TimRaijmakers »

Simon wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:19 pm The issue is that sometimes the colors are not programmed perfectly in the profile. For example it should be possible to trigger your yellow color. If you can post your color channel from the manual, we'll try and improve the profile.

Having said that, we have found a few cases where fixtures have a special color which is difficult to find with the color picker. We're considering putting an option to trigger a specific color from a color wheel (like you can on the live edits screen).
Could you take a look at the Showtec Phantom 65?
The colors on the Wolfmix don't correspond to the colors of the fixture, and the split colors and rotating colors don't function.
axell

Post by axell »

Tim,

1. I looked at the Phantom 65 profile and compared to the documentation. It is "nearly" 100% accurate matching, only one "glitch" I found is the Color "Light Green" which isn't clearly configured, as Wolfmix don't know this Color. But that could be quickly fixed in a revised version of the profile by replace "Light Green" with "LIME" or "MINT". (I attach a comparison of the manual and the profile, so you can see yourself...)

2. Split Colors are NOT standard assignments to Wolfmix controllers. A Preset can only show ONE STATE (= one Preset). If you want to show "RED/YELLOW" (Preset 72-78) you can NOT press the Yellow and Red button, as they will be interpreted as EITHER just Yellow OR just Red. So there is no automation behind when pressing 2 or 3 Color to display "dual" or "triple" colors of the fixture.
There is however a way to select "dual-Colors", if you give these Presets (White/Red; Yellow/Green, Orange/Pink, ...) a "unique" different Color like CYAN for "Green/Light Blue", so when you press Cyan on the Color Pad it will show the "dual-Color" (Preset) Green/Light Blue (86-92). Again, this have to be redefined in a profile, but this is a personal preference and not a standard (official) procedure.

3. Same is for Rotation. Rotation is not part of the standard User Interface - there's no dedicated Controller in the User Interface available for it. Rotation can be activated by using a Live Edit Preset where the Rotation DMX value is stored. If you press a programmed Live Edit Preset, you will get the Rotation. You can assign multiple Presets with multiple different speeds.

-----------------------------------

General notes:

4. Profiles in the Nicolaudie Library are NOT delivered and tested and maintained by Nicolaudie. They are mostly provided by the vendors/brands and are just stored in a (convenient and central) place to access from the Nicolaudie Cloud, rather each User is asking each and every vendor individually for a profile or searching on the net. Having said that, Nicolaudie has no responsibility and there is no way to maintain all those ~15.000+ profiles and keep them up to date to the lastest functions. This is more in the responsibility of each individual user, how he (personally) want to have Wolfmix react to it, as you can modify the profiles to you likes. For that process Nicolaudie offers the Software Tool Profile Builder on cloud.nicolaudiegroup.com for every user.

5. I am just a regular private user like you. I am NOT affiliated nor do I have any sort of relations to Nicolaudie Group or any other DMX Lighting company in the market. I am only using the products and provide help where I can.
Attachments
phantom65.jpg
phantom65.jpg (301.75 KiB) Viewed 4885 times