MIDICraft Controller (need MIDI for W1)

General discussion between Wolfmix owners. Checked occasionally by the Wolfmix support team.
leesinthemix

MIDICraft Controller (need MIDI for W1)

Post by leesinthemix »

Hey all, just thought I'd share this to start a discussion about MIDI.

Really interesting controller made in Germany.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSXvhzUPQXI

Imagine pairing this with the W1 to get some very fine tactile control of dimming, gobo & rotation speed, iris etc.
Simon

Re: MIDICraft Controller (need MIDI for W1)

Post by Simon »

We're thinking about this....

In fact I've been thinking about it since before we released the W1.

It just involves putting another USB socket and managing power and setting up a USB Host MIDI stack and.....

It's not so easy but I want to do it. ;)
leesinthemix

Post by leesinthemix »

Hey Simon,

Just wondered if there had been any progress on this?

Also, just a suggestion, but could a temporary solution be to add MIDI support over USB with WTOOLS, similar to how Ableton Link and O2SL work?

As long as W1 and a controller are plugged into the same laptop, they can communicate?
Simon

Post by Simon »

Still thinking about it (and also thinking about MIDI through WTOOLS ;) )
Ickehier

Post by Ickehier »

Hi SImon,

I have just borrowed a Wolfmix W1 to play around with it as basis for a purchase decision.
As a mobile DJ beat-syncing my light show is crucial for me.
Afetr a few days of playing around, I am not convinced of the product.
The Ableton Link is useless, since the master controls the decks in DJ softwares, not the other way around, as would be needed.
The mic as well as the line-in are not at all working to my satisfaction.
So at least a MIDI via USB (as in Daslight) would solve those issues. Before that I would not see a point to purchase the Wolfmix W1 as a mobile DJ.
leesinthemix

Post by leesinthemix »

Ickehier wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 9:56 am Hi SImon,

I have just borrowed a Wolfmix W1 to play around with it as basis for a purchase decision.
As a mobile DJ beat-syncing my light show is crucial for me.
Afetr a few days of playing around, I am not convinced of the product.
The Ableton Link is useless, since the master controls the decks in DJ softwares, not the other way around, as would be needed.
The mic as well as the line-in are not at all working to my satisfaction.
So at least a MIDI via USB (as in Daslight) would solve those issues. Before that I would not see a point to purchase the Wolfmix W1 as a mobile DJ.
MIDI sync really is not the answer for being in time with DJ software, because there is no beatgrid and no phase to keep in time with.

Ableton Link is the best implementation, but only Serato currently offers the ability for your Track Deck faders to pull the Master Clock in time with your session.

DM me with your issues and I'll do my best to help as I've used the W1 with a lot of different options.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Ickehier wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 9:56 am The Ableton Link is useless, since the master controls the decks in DJ softwares, not the other way around, as would be needed.
This is not actually the case. I use Ableton link for my own parties and it works perfectly. The concept of Ableton link is to allow everything to sync with everything. Some DJ Software has better implementation than others. I use Native Instruments Traktor, and when I move the tempo on my track deck with the slider, it adjusts Traktor's Master Tempo and consequently the Wolfmix.

Which DJ software are you using?
Ickehier wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 9:56 am The mic as well as the line-in are not at all working to my satisfaction.
Care to elaborate?

MIDI Clock via USB is kinda old style now. Not sure I'm interested in spending the time to implement that.
Ickehier

Post by Ickehier »

Simon wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:01 pm
Ickehier wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 9:56 am The Ableton Link is useless, since the master controls the decks in DJ softwares, not the other way around, as would be needed.
This is not actually the case. I use Ableton link for my own parties and it works perfectly. The concept of Ableton link is to allow everything to sync with everything. Some DJ Software has better implementation than others. I use Native Instruments Traktor, and when I move the tempo on my track deck with the slider, it adjusts Traktor's Master Tempo and consequently the Wolfmix.

Which DJ software are you using?
I am also working with Traktor (Pro 3.53). As a multigenre DJ I am playing with BPM figures between 70 and 210 BPM. Ableton Link is fixing a certain BPM-rate, but is not following changes on the speed-sliders or changes in BPM when starting another tune with a different BPM rate.
Simon wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:01 pm
Ickehier wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 9:56 am The mic as well as the line-in are not at all working to my satisfaction.
Care to elaborate?
The mic did not work reliably at loud volumes at home ( I mean "loud", even though it was not club level).
Since I returned the unit in November I can't remember what was the issue with line-in. Sorry.
Simon wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:01 pm MIDI Clock via USB is kinda old style now. Not sure I'm interested in spending the time to implement that.
I am very happy with MIDI sync in Daslight - works excellently.

Best
Paul