FEATURE REQUEST: Preset Length / Preset Queue

General discussion between Wolfmix owners. Checked occasionally by the Wolfmix support team.
leesinthemix

FEATURE REQUEST: Preset Length / Preset Queue

Post by leesinthemix »

Hey Simon,

I've been thinking it would be really incredible if we could set presets to be a certain beat/bar length (and the fade to next preset set by the same measure); just as each effect can be, rather than relying on a timer.
Imagine being able to cue a preset for only four bars after the drop in a track and then have it fade it to the next preset over a couple of beats or one bar. It would be awesome to see!

Building on this, I was hoping there could be a Preset Queue, meaning we can cue up a number of presets across any of the pages, when we know they'll work well within certain situations and during different tunes. I really feel this is crucial to unleashing the "live" potential of the W1.
Maybe there could be a global setting which turns on or off the Preset Queue for any given project.

For all of this to work flawlessly, there would also need to be some kind of Preset Launch Quantisation, similar to how Ableton handles Clip Launch Quantisation. In theory, you launch a preset, but it doesn't start until the end of your launch quantisation period of 1/2/4/8/16 beats or bars.

I hope that's all made sense. Happy to jump on email with you if you did decide to make this happen!

Cheers,
Lee :D
Simon

Re: FEATURE REQUEST: Preset Length / Preset Queue

Post by Simon »

Synchronising presets by BPM is on the todo list. Custom queuing is not planned for the W1, however you can play by page and by column.
leesinthemix

Post by leesinthemix »

Simon wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 4:41 pm Synchronising presets by BPM is on the todo list. Custom queuing is not planned for the W1, however you can play by page and by column.
Great to hear on the BPM front!

No worries about the queue.

Could we instead be able to loop a preset with quite long BPM lengths, say 32/64/128 bars?
Last edited by leesinthemix on Sat Apr 23, 2022 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simon

Post by Simon »

I'll make a note of this
leesinthemix

Post by leesinthemix »

Hi Simon,

Following on from my previous comments in this thread. I'm finding that Move FX don't appear to have a defined starting position, which is problematic for creating shows when playing a column of presents.

EXAMPLE:
PRESET #1 is an up/down Move FX with a beating heart Beam FX. The beams are on when moving down, but off when moving back up.
PRESET #2 is exactly the same, but was saved as a Preset when my movers were at opposite starting positions to PRESET #1, so the beams were off when moving down and on when moving up.

When I press play on this column, the starting positions get reversed when the column plays again from the start. Sometimes they are given the same starting positions depending on how long I set the HOLD to be, which makes the show a bit pointless as both Presets do the same thing.
This is obviously due to the fact we can't yet choose a beat/bar length for our presets, even though we are able to set Move FX to a beatgrid.

Giving us the ability to set the Preset length in beats or bars would be really advantageous and would probably eliminate this issue.
Simon

Post by Simon »

I see the problem. In fact the FX clocks are never reset when moving between presets, so they just carry on playing from the current position.

I've added an adjustment to reset the timers on preset change. It'll be available in the next firmware update.

I'll consider adding 'number of beats' for the hold time in this new 'BPM Preset playback mode' feature. Not sure when I'll get around to implementing it though.
leesinthemix

Post by leesinthemix »

Thanks!

I guess you must be busy with Daslight 5 at the moment ;)
Ickehier

Post by Ickehier »

leesinthemix wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:46 am This is obviously due to the fact we can't yet choose a beat/bar length for our presets, even though we are able to set Move FX to a beatgrid.
Giving us the ability to set the Preset length in beats or bars would be really advantageous...
+ 1

any ETA yet for the next FW release?
Simon

Post by Simon »

Few more days, almost there...
Ickehier

Post by Ickehier »

Simon wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 2:03 pm Few more days, almost there...
I am following the release notes since November - maybe I've overlooked that topic. Has this been tackled in the meantime?

Best
Paul