FEATURE REQUEST: Preset Length / Preset Queue

General discussion between Wolfmix owners. Checked occasionally by the Wolfmix support team.
Simon

Re: FEATURE REQUEST: Preset Length / Preset Queue

Post by Simon »

Yes, this is available in the Beta firmware.
leesinthemix

Post by leesinthemix »

Hi Simon,

HNY, hope you're good!

I've been doing some more testing with preset triggering and column play during this evening.
The FX timers seem to have cleared up one issue, but I think I've stumbled across another entirely, which is preventing an effective light show which follows a timeline and is especially important for Ableton Link.

Going back to the issue I mentioned last year where I have two presets. Moving heads with an up down Movement FX activated, as well as a heartbeat Beam FX on each. With just the right parameter settings, I can make the presets do alternate movements.

Preset 1 - Beam on when moving up. Beam off when moving down.
Preset 2 - Beam off when moving down. Beam on when moving up.

When I trigger the first preset, it plays as intended (because the FX timers have now been reset). However, in order for me to get the second preset to do an alternate effect, I now have to play around with the timing of the Movement FX (switching from a two beat loop to a one beat loop and back again), which pushes it out of phase with the starting position of the first preset.

When I trigger the first preset, the FX timers reset as intended, meaning it plays as it was saved. However, when I trigger the second preset, the FX timer resets meaning what I have saved, is now redundant, because the starting position has moved. The second preset now plays identically to the first preset.
I was hoping this problem could be overcome. When a Preset is saved or overwritten, the starting position (or beatgrid) of the Preset must be reset. For example Beat 2, now becomes Beat 1. Is this making sense?

I am happy to send over some videos and explain this with a recorded message if that would make things easier.

I also really hope this is a logical change and easy to implement, as I feel it will really allow us to create light shows, rather than just a set of random scenes which work well together, but not seamlessly and elegantly.

Thanks,
Lee
Last edited by leesinthemix on Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
leesinthemix

Post by leesinthemix »

We also desperately need Presets to have BEATGRID lengths for this to work properly.

Otherwise a Preset could end at Beat 1, Beat 2 or Beat 3 (depending on the BPM of the W1). The next preset will reset the FX timers, with the ending of the previous preset not being as it was intended.

Hope this makes sense.