Artnet…. Future product request

General discussion between Wolfmix owners. Checked occasionally by the Wolfmix support team.
markymarc

Artnet…. Future product request

Post by markymarc »

Hi guys,

Currently have two W1’s and just installing one of them into a venue..

Other one for personal use and to learn the product..

my only problem with the unit is not having a RJ45 and Artnet support ..

This would make things for installs much simpler and more useful ..

Ok the controller would maybe cost a little more but the install cost comes down overall..
Simon

Re: Artnet…. Future product request

Post by Simon »

We've considered this before, but we're not sure how useful art-net would be when there are only 4 DMX universes available, with the majority of users working with just 1 or 2 universes. There's always the option of putting an art-net node close to the Wolfmix. We're still thinking about it anyway and always welcome feedback!
markymarc

Post by markymarc »

It’s not so much about the number of universes it’s more about the cable / infrastructure ..

much simpler to have MEP companies run a cat5/6 cable and not have to explain what DMX is to them..

Plus is standard on most lighting desks these days…
Simon

Post by Simon »

Fair point.
Marxn

Post by Marxn »

Network Infrastructure is a true point, but to run ArtNet it's still necessary to separate the protocols from the normal Network or patch it as a separate cable.
As Network cables and DMX cables are compatible regarding wave resistance / impedance we are often running DMX Signals via CAT cables with an RJ45/XLR Adapter. They are available on the market from a lot of suppliers.
For example https://www.cat-core.de/en

But ArtNet would be indeed a nice "PRO" feature ;)
Working with my Wolfmix in Paderborn, Germany
www.bdm-systems.de
PtownDJ2022

Post by PtownDJ2022 »

I am doing a light install in Palm Springs that includes installing 2 wolf mix boards, tomorrow night I will be a guest DJ at a club, im guessing I won't get my Wolfmix running for even part of there light show? Ive never needed Artnet before, but its a conversation that has been popping up lately?
leesinthemix

Post by leesinthemix »

You could always get an ArtNet Node to use as a last minute thing?

It's always worth teaching this stuff to yourself as well... Happy to help if you need any?