Sound to light beat detection

General discussion between Wolfmix owners. Checked occasionally by the Wolfmix support team.
rollingdice

Re: Sound to light beat detection

Post by rollingdice »

Hey guys is there an actual solution to this that I'm not understanding?
I've set my ADJ Mega Flash 800W Strobe Light to listen for the Line In for sound to beat detection to no satisfaction.
So I opted for the built in microphone on the WMX1 but it was also a no go.

Interestingly enough the microphone display on the screen lights up when the beat is detected and when I tap on the microphone.
So the WMX1 is detecting the beat but the strobe light is not reacting, instead it flashes at a constant flash every 4-5 seconds.

It will not detect Lows, Mids or Highs.
Link to manual here: https://d295jznhem2tn9.cloudfront.net/I ... AN2005.pdf

The strobe has dipswitches 1-10.
So dipswitch 1 is set to ON as the default channel to communicate to and 10 (DMX enable option) is set to ON as well (as per the manufacture).

Channel 1 is set to strobe (fixture settings as pre loaded from library)
Min 0 Max 255

Channel 2 is set to dimmer (fixture settings as pre loaded from library)
Min 0 Max 255

Am I missing something?
What can I do to get the strobe to react and listing to Line In or the microphone and jump the to rhythm of the song being played?
axell

Re: Sound to light beat detection

Post by axell »

(@ rollingdice) your question opens a complete different topic - actually 2 topics - and has nothing to do with the Sound-to-Light Beat detection.

The problem 1 here is the Fixture you are using: a STROBE ONLY fixture. This need special attention in order to function. Strobe only works if a "light is on". Strobe itself DOES NOT switch On any lights (LEDs) when activated. It only "interrupts" already lit on LEDs. So if nothing is ON, nothing can be strobed.

The problem 2 is: IF you got it to strobe on Wolfmix, it will NOT follow any beat. Wolfmix is just sending a value (slow or fast) to the fixture and the fixture then will convert this to its "hardwired" Strobe speed.

For more information on how Strobe is working, read here:

There is a common misunderstanding of how Strobe really is working! Most people imply that by activating the Strobe command, this channel then switches lights fast ON and OFF (strobing). That is not how Strobe is working!

Strobe NEVER(!) switches ANY(!) lights ON by itself. Strobe can only be applied to "lights" (Color/Dimmer channels) which are already somehow activated or switched ON by any of the regular RGBWAU channels or on a ColorWheel. The Strobe then - when is activated, is sending very short, very quick DMX values of 000 (= channel dimmer off by the selected strobe frequency) to all Color/Dimmer Channels, whether it is at full ON (255) or half ON (127) or even (when already) 000. That is the reason why:
a) you can have any strobe on any Color you like because you have activated the Color before
but also
b) strobe NEEDS an activated dimmer/Color channel to "insert" his 000 (Lights OFF) breaks into an activated (255) dimmer/color channel).

On Color Wheels fixtures this is identical with Open/Closed function. The point I want to make is: If nothing is activated BEFORE push STROBE button, nothing will strobe. If you have RGB all OFF (000) and you apply Strobe to it, then inserting another 000 from the strobe channel does not make it light up! It stays dark. On Color wheels, If Shutter is CLOSED (off) already and you apply a strobe (with more CLOSED interruptions -strobe- to it) you still won't see anything.

That is also the reason why it is a bit tricky to create Strobe (ONLY) fixtures (mostly 2 Ch - 1= LED/Dimmer, 2 = Strobe) on Wolfmix, because in order to Strobe you first need to have the LEDs ON. Mostly this is either a "Color dimmer (white)" or simply "Master Dimmer". When it is a Color Dimmer you have to set to ON before you can Strobe. Master Dimmer are always on default 255 - so they are On anyway, but if Strobe is OFF, the LEDs will not go out automatically (why should they? you switched it on). So they remain to stay ON (as a blinder...). Oh, you can make Master Dimmer default 000, so they are off, correct. But now applying Strobe, what is switching the Master Dimmer (LEDs) to ON (255) now? And if they are on 000 already, the a Strobe-000 will not be visible! So you have to manually enable a "light" to turn ON with a positive dimmer value, before you can apply Strobe to it.

There are - of course - workarounds to deal with Strobes ONLY fixtures within the DMX specifications but these are not defined as DMX Standard.