Sound to light beat detection

General discussion between Wolfmix owners. Checked occasionally by the Wolfmix support team.
Marxn

Sound to light beat detection

Post by Marxn »

Hi Guys,
I was playing with my Wolfmix over Christmas days and was struggling with the beat detection in sound mode (internal mic and external source).
The beat detection seems not to detect only the Bassline but also the mids or even the highs.
Is there a way to filter the audio signal to only detect frequencies below a certain value, f.e. 120 Hz?

Greetings Markus
Working with my Wolfmix in Paderborn, Germany
www.bdm-systems.de
Simon

Re: Sound to light beat detection

Post by Simon »

Hi Markus

The Wolfmix does contain a filter but this is part of the Analog circuitry and can't be adjusted. According to our tests we've found the sweet spot so I'm not sure you could get better by adjusting it.
Marxn

Post by Marxn »

Hi Simon,
Ok, then the only solution would be to use an external low pass filter.
www.bdm-systems.de
Simon

Post by Simon »

Let me know how you get on with it :)
Marxn

Post by Marxn »

After some experiments with the sound to light function I now understand what is happening.
The big point is, that there was a misunderstanding of this feature from my side.

When a beat is detected on the Wolfmix it triggers the next step. When there is no beat, nothing is triggered.
So depending on the song, sometimes the steps are triggered very fast and on some positions of the song, nothing is triggered.

I expected a beat detection based automatic adjustment of the BPM Signal, to not have to hit the BPM button manually.
To have the effects running continuously is will have to use the BPM button.
www.bdm-systems.de
Marxn

Post by Marxn »

I noticed that the BPM button is always measuring the BPM between only two taps of the button.
This makes it very hard to adjust the BPM exactly when not using Ableton Link or OS2L.

Would be an option to average the value over multiple taps to get closer to the real value?
www.bdm-systems.de
Simon

Post by Simon »

It measures an average of 2-8 taps and resets after a couple of seconds not tapping.
Level Up

Post by Level Up »

@simon u should check the TAP function coz it doesnt work properly.
as u said it randomly calculate the bpm from 2 to 8 taps (usually 2 or 3 anyway).
i tested it for 10 min and the BPM calculation is TOTALLY A MESS.

i tried to tap a song of 120 bpm and every 2-3 tap it change the bpm from 115 to 125 even 130 then 120 then 125 then 118 then 130. i did the same thing with the tap on ANY piooner mixer and if the song is 120 it can be "near" 121 - 119 mostly 120 but wolfmix is like... ROLL A DICE.

why?
OverExposed

Post by OverExposed »

Just a thought ... would it be possible to release the part of the beat usb communication protocol to public, so anybody can work on its own beat triggering implementation without depending on OS2L / bonjour?

Great device the W1, it's really another dimension to anything i used before...
Simon

Post by Simon »

@simon u should check the TAP function coz it doesnt work properly.
You are actually right! I checked the function again and found a bug whereby it was only taking the last 2 taps when calculating the average. I've fixed the problem (it'll be in FW 0.6.2 available over the next few days). I've also increased the stack to take the last 16 taps. (If you wait 1.5 seconds it resets).