Ableton Link with Rekordbox, Serato and VDJ

General discussion between Wolfmix owners. Checked occasionally by the Wolfmix support team.
Simon

Re: Ableton Link with Rekordbox, Serato and VDJ

Post by Simon »

leesinthemix wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 12:32 pm I've just put in a request with Traktor to change how Link functionality works. They seem to be a bit more open to communication on new features over on their forum, so I'll let you all know how that goes :)

Fingers crossed!
The problem described in this thread is with Rekordbox Serto and VDJ's implementations. Traktor's implementation doesn't have the problem.
leesinthemix

Post by leesinthemix »

Simon wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:07 pm
leesinthemix wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 12:32 pm I've just put in a request with Traktor to change how Link functionality works. They seem to be a bit more open to communication on new features over on their forum, so I'll let you all know how that goes :)

Fingers crossed!
The problem described in this thread is with Rekordbox Serto and VDJ's implementations. Traktor's implementation doesn't have the problem.
"It's not possible to adjust the software's Master Clock BPM, and therefore the Ableton Link session tempo, to the BPM of the Track Deck

This essentially means that the track decks can only sync with the master clock, and not the other way around. NI Traktor does not have this limitation."

But this is not true Traktor Pro 3. Traktor does have this limitation.

Traktor track decks can only sync to the master, track decks cannot BECOME the master clock. When track decks are synced to the master, it is impossible to adjust the BPM of a track deck using a tempo fader on dedicated Traktor hardware OR using a CDJ over HID, because it will go out of sync with the master clock (and consequently the light show).
If you are an open format DJ or you beatmatch manually, Traktor will not work with Ableton Link. It will only work for you, if you're syncing every single mix during your set.
Imagine you're playing a track at 130pm and this is synced to the master, but your next track is at 80bpm. When you bring the fader down on the first track and then press play on the second track, the lights will be out of sync, because the master clock is at 130bpm and won't change to 80bpm.

However, in Serato you can adjust the BPM of track decks using tempo faders and the master tempo becomes whatever the master track deck stipulates. I've literally done this myself at a couple of gigs in the past two weeks.

I'll upload a video of Serato later tonight showing this.
Marxn

Post by Marxn »

I can confirm that it is not possible to set a track deck as master clock with Ableton Link activated.

This is also described in the Native Instruments support site.
Working with my Wolfmix in Paderborn, Germany
www.bdm-systems.de
leesinthemix

Post by leesinthemix »

Hi all,

I think Rekordbox have recently changed their implementation of Ableton Link, because when amending Track BPMs, the Ableton clock now follows.

Yesterday I did some testing (in Rekordbox internal mode) with Soundswitch and W1 both syncing to the Track BPMs.

This weekend I will do some more testing with a Pionner DDJ-SZ controller to see how that behaves, I'll report back on Monday :)
Simon

Post by Simon »

Thanks for providing this information, this is really positive news and hopefully Serato and VDJ may follow!
leesinthemix

Post by leesinthemix »

Hey,

So after doing some testing I've found that in Rekordbox and Serato, track decks sync to the Ableton Session Clock and you may adjust the clock using tempo faders. However, the tempo faders are simply pulling the master clock into line, the decks themselves cannot become the master of the Ableton Session.

For example, say I was playing a track on Deck A at 128bpm and I move this up to 130bpm, the Ableton Clock will follow this because the track deck is synced to Ableton Link and they are tied to each other.

However, if I was then to play a track at 110bpm on Deck B, the Ableton Clock will stay at 130bpm, because although Deck B is now the Master Track, it can't adjust the Ableton Clock. If I then press sync on Deck B, it will jump up to 130bpm. The Ableton Session Clock, won't come down to 110bpm.

There is a workaround for this, but you have to TAP BPM on the Wolfmix to 110bpm and then sync the track again. However, there will be a short glitch in the sound, as Link pulls the track back into phase with Ableton Session Clock.

I hope that makes sense. Hoping to get around to doing a video some time this week to explain how this all works.
Depear

Post by Depear »

Looking for step by step help with setting up link with serato and ableton live and wolfmix. I've got the peer1 connection but not beating to tracks playing. Are there any settings to change in ableton? What am I missing
Ickehier

Post by Ickehier »

Marxn wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:19 pm
I can confirm that it is not possible to set a track deck as master clock with Ableton Link activated.

This is also described in the Native Instruments support site.
That's what I found out as well.
@Simon: I would be curious how you setup Traktor Pro 3 when you DJ that the track decks set the BPM to the Ableton Link and send it to the Wolfmix.
leesinthemix

Post by leesinthemix »

I've found a solution for the time being for Traktor. However, as I don't own a mac I can't test it out.

https://github.com/Andymann/ofxMidiClockAbletonLink

This is an open source mac app, which takes a MIDI clock signal and converts it to Ableton Link

Anyone care to report back on this please?
Ickehier

Post by Ickehier »

leesinthemix wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:49 pm I've found a solution for the time being for Traktor. However, as I don't own a mac I can't test it out.

https://github.com/Andymann/ofxMidiClockAbletonLink

This is an open source mac app, which takes a MIDI clock signal and converts it to Ableton Link

Anyone care to report back on this please?
I would be much happier if Wolfmix would accept MIDI as input for the BPM rate straight from my DJ laptop instead of going through some third party apps.