Ableton Link with Rekordbox, Serato and VDJ

General discussion between Wolfmix owners. Checked occasionally by the Wolfmix support team.
Simon

Ableton Link with Rekordbox, Serato and VDJ

Post by Simon »

Rekordbox, Serato and VDJ all have a limitation when using Ableton link. This is a limitation with how Ableton link has been implemented in these 3 software packages.

It's not possible to adjust the software's Master Clock BPM, and therefore the Ableton Link session tempo, to the BPM of the Track Deck

This essentially means that the track decks can only sync with the master clock, and not the other way around. NI Traktor does not have this limitation.

The only solution here is to contact the developers and ask for this:
Please implement the ability to set the Master Clock tempo to the Track Deck tempo when you push the MASTER button on your controller, even in LINK mode

I've tried contacting these companies over the past year but unfortunately they don't seem interested.
brianmole

Re: Ableton Link with Rekordbox, Serato and VDJ

Post by brianmole »

I have asked Pioneer's dev team to enable this functionality. Let's see what happens!

Cheers, Brian
Simon

Post by Simon »

They will likely tell you it's already possible. Let us know how you get on!
Jos

Post by Jos »

Ableton link function too now under Rekordbox, thanks.
leesinthemix

Post by leesinthemix »

Simon wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:59 am NI Traktor does not have this limitation.
Not true.

Tracks can only sync to the Master tempo in Traktor Pro 3.
The master clock cannot follow the track BPM and the track BPM can't be adjusted when syncing to the master clock.
leesinthemix

Post by leesinthemix »

Does anyone know if this limitation has been bridged with Serato yet?

I'm connected with Serato and the W1 (1 peer connected), but the W1 is set to 100bpm, whereas my track deck is much faster.

Am I doing anything wrong?

EDIT: Think I've solved it :)
Last edited by leesinthemix on Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
leesinthemix

Post by leesinthemix »

Simon wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:59 am I've tried contacting these companies over the past year but unfortunately they don't seem interested.
Your best bet would be to approach Serato and Native Instruments with regards to gaining access to their API to build a remote for the software.

Serato works with Soundswitch flawlessly with this method.

The other option is allowing the W1 to take in MIDI clock over USB, as I've already requested ;) :mrgreen:
axell

Post by axell »

Wow, and with MIDI clock over USB you can then probably also attach a (plain, little) MIDI controller for additional control. .... :D
leesinthemix

Post by leesinthemix »

I've just put in a request with Traktor to change how Link functionality works. They seem to be a bit more open to communication on new features over on their forum, so I'll let you all know how that goes :)

Fingers crossed!
paulm12

Post by paulm12 »

leesinthemix wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:56 pm
Simon wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:59 am I've tried contacting these companies over the past year but unfortunately they don't seem interested.
Your best bet would be to approach Serato and Native Instruments with regards to gaining access to their API to build a remote for the software.

Serato works with Soundswitch flawlessly with this method.

The other option is allowing the W1 to take in MIDI clock over USB, as I've already requested ;) :mrgreen:
I was also hoping for a MIDI clock implementation, but actually, one possible solution could be a sort of synthesizer or metronome that takes in the MIDI clock and generates a set of audio pulses that could be detected by the 1/8" jack on the Wolfmix controller.
Something like the Volka Kick comes to mind: https://www.korg.com/us/products/dj/volca_kick/
Which can generate a set of quarter note pulses sent via audio.
This takes AA batteries and can sync to a MIDI clock to generate a series of audio pulses. Its probably mostly limited to 4x4 time signature, but this may not be too big of an issue (and this can probably be multiplied creatively to create the correct series of pulses)