Dimmer Bug?

General discussion between Wolfmix owners. Checked occasionally by the Wolfmix support team.
msp78

Dimmer Bug?

Post by msp78 »

Hi, I have a lamp with two DMX channels. Channel 1 is dimmer and channel 2 is amber. I have created a fixture. When I use the group dimmer, instead of channel 1 (dimmer), channel 2 (amber) is changed. So when dimming the color changes but not the brightness. This also seems to be the case with 4 Channel RGB Light. Although there is also the 4th channel for dimming. With software such as DasLight, the dimming works via the correct channel.

Is it possible to solve this problem?

Thanks & greetings Mathias
AlexR

Re: Dimmer Bug?

Post by AlexR »

Hello,

This seems odd thanks for reporting this, what fixture is this issue happening with? I can look into this over the next few days.

Alex
Wolfmix Support
Alex
Wolfmix Support
msp78

Post by msp78 »

Hello Alex, you can use your own fixture. e.g. Channel 1 Dimmer and Channel 2-4 RGB. If you use the fixture and set the group to e.g. 50% brightness, the RGW values will be reduced instead of the dimmer.
leesinthemix

Post by leesinthemix »

This is not a bug, this is how the W1 is programmed to work I'm afraid.

See this thread...

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=458&p=1562&hilit=dimmer#p1562
msp78

Post by msp78 »

Thank you for the information. I have a lamp with two DMX channels. Channel 1 = dimmer, Channel 2 = color temperature. It does not work that I can dim this lamp in group A for example. Why is the dimmer channel not supported?

Mathias
msp78

Post by msp78 »

What's the status? The problem is not solved even with the current firmware.
msp78

Post by msp78 »

I have the impression that customer service is non-existent at Wolfmix. Answers are received only very sporadically. Tickets are generally not answered. I will look around for another provider.
axell

Post by axell »

msp78 wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:04 am Thank you for the information. I have a lamp with two DMX channels. Channel 1 = dimmer, Channel 2 = color temperature. It does not work that I can dim this lamp in group A for example. Why is the dimmer channel not supported?

Mathias
I am not Nicolaudie Support (!), but maybe can try to explain the experience you've made with your Dimmer issue.
If your fixture as you say ONLY has 2 channels (Dimmer and Color temp), then both channels are NOT part of the regular Automation. Dimmer will always be ON (sets the fixture into an ON state) and Color Temp will by default have No Function (as defined in the profile).

Automation is done on "regular" RGB Fixtures on their COLOR DIMMER channels (Red, Green, Blue etc) - not on the fixture MASTER DIMMER(!) and on Color Wheel fixtures on Shutter&Strobe OPEN/CLOSED Presets. MASTER DIMMER ALWAYS stay fully on (being no part of the automation!). Master Dimmer mainly "kicks in" when the Wolfmix Group Dimmer is reduced (or the Wolfmix Master Dimmer) - THEN it will manually be reduced by dialing the Dimmer encoder. Or you use BeamFX and "DIMMER" is the ONLY dim channel, then this will follow the automation.
If your Ch1 DIMMER is the ONLY dim channel, THEN the Group Dimmer will take THIS (Fixture Master Dimmer) to reduce brightness. If you have other (COLOR) Dimmers as well in the fixture, THEN Group Dimmer will take the COLOR DIMMERS ONLY - NOT the Fixture Master Dimmer. This is the design of the unit.
This is because DIMMERS are NOT individual Channels, but more a "chain" of dependencies to each other. On Top is the Fixture Master Dimmer where "underneath" are the individual Color Dimmers. You can crank up all Color Dimmers, but when Master Dimmer is Off there is no output. Now putting the Master Dimmer into Automation like you ask for it it does not matter what level the individual Red Dimmer, Green Dimmer or Blue Dimmer is, as the brightness then will be controlled only be the Fixture Master Dimmer. That is why Fixture Master Dimmer is always ON and only the RGB Dimmer channels are automated.
So there are some dependencies you have to take into account whether or not Dimmer is "operating" to your expectation.

Color Temperature - again- is not a valid Wolfmix Automation Type. It is identical to Macros, or other undefined DMX Types - OTHER(?) - like Auto-run-programs, Color Macros, Moving Macros etc, you do not want to run uncontrolled in the automation and interfere with it. The Color Temperature is usually on a predefined setting (you don't alter every second) and so this setting you can control with - one or more -Live Edit Presets. Activate a Live edit and get the corresponding Color Temperature - done

Earlier you mentioned AMBER as 2nd channel, now you say Color Temperature. Both DMX Types are clearly "defined" and do different things. So it would help to know the exact brand and model name, so we may can help you better on your problem.